Tuesday, May 09, 2023

WHAT TAKES THE MOST TIME?

 I doubt anyone coming to a market and seeing my runners (etc) would have any idea just how long they take to create.

Yesterday I spent over 4 hours putting this runner together, ready for stitching.

ABOVE:  I bet you have no idea what it takes to choose the fabric, then cut them out and position them JUST RIGHT on the backing!

Today I will start the stitching.  That part isn't quite so taxing.

Bubbles after that.  And 'Motion' lines.

That's the tittivating part.

All up I reckon a runner like this takes me between 10 - 12 hours!

And I sell it for $60 - $70 , hardly seems worth it eh?

But here's the thing.  That $60 - $70 covers the cost of the materials, and that's all I care about.

My time is nothing.  What else would I be doing if I wasn't sewing/creating lovely runners etc?

LIVING.  IN.  THE.  PANTRY!!!

Talking of the pantry, my diet has been pretty 'off' this past week.  I knew it as I was doing it... having far too many treat meals.  It was kinda like 'in for a penny, in for a pound'.

*sigh*

Maybe I needed a break from denial?  I dunno.  

But I am determined to keep going.  It may take longer than I anticipated, but it will be worth it once I get the next 10 kilos off.

Just might take me 10 months!  Does that matter?

NOPE.  

This morning I need to pop into Spotlight to get some white felt for fish eyes and bubbles.  That's about all I need there.  So not a long trip out and about. 

Once that's bought I can get on with today's runner.



8.50 am:  And I'm fluffing around in the house, doing odd jobs before heading into the sewing room.

A week or so ago Stew got a black shelving unit from the back shed and put the plants in the sun room on it.

I had them on a white trestle, and he didn't like how it looked.

So he did what he did.

And for the past week or so I've been constantly jarred by how IT LOOKED!

He had positioned it in such a way that it almost cut the sunroom into two separate areas.

So this morning I fixed it.

ABOVE:  Just a small 'tweak'.  Now the room is not cut in half.  I can live with it now. 😂😉😊

Now I'm off to Spotlight, then ... fish.

ABOVE:  Spotlight from Te Rapa Straight.


ABOVE:  And from the very empty carpark.  Obviously wasn't busy in there at all.  I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Home now, about to start sewing.

ABOVE:  Oh look!  It's raining.
Again.

And I'm still sewing.
Not much changes does it?

6.34 pm:  Just stopped sewing for the day.

It's been a long haul.

I will no doubt finish that fish runner tomorrow.

Stew got home from work, parked his butt in his chair and that's him done for the day too.

It's been much colder today, I even turned the heat pump on for a while today.

Torrential rain too.  

Catch ya tomorrow.





7 comments:

  1. The shelf is better placed along the window. Perfect.

    Keep sewing. People need to keep busy. It can be so easy to retire and just sit on your butt forever after that. I am seeing that with some husbands of friends. That's when people start to "degrade". As long as you enjoy what you are doing, and can fund it with sales - keep it up.

    I was going to suggest painting the metal parts on the shelf to make it more homey (and because you are always painting things) but it actually kind of matches the windows the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very talented. And it brings you happiness... that's what is more important than loads of cash 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tweak certainly looks better

    ReplyDelete
  4. It rained here this early morning. For the first time in 6 or more months. Then there was thunder. Then there was a 36 Kg / 80 pound (thank you google) Collie trying to climb in the bed. He is scared of rain and thunder for no apparent reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those runners are worth every cent....they are gorgeous. I look at them and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Auckland is coping it again...rain rain go away come again another day

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same way with sewing. I'm like what else am I going to do? Probably work in the yard if I wasn't doing that lol

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.