Friday, May 12, 2023

HOME TIME

 It has been a wonderful couple of days visiting my girlfriends and the kids.

But its time to head home.

I've yet to check the road conditions, but it doesn't matter. If the main road is closed there will be a detour in place, so not a problem. 

It will be an adventure either way.

I'm prepared for a longer, slower trip...

ABOVE: I bought these yesterday. I'm going to fill both of my thermos bottles with hot drinks... they will keep me going until I get home. Plus some diet Coke of course 😊☺.

I am going to be leaving at 9 am. All going well I should be home by mid to late afternoon. 

CATCH YA LATER.... 

AND ONWARD.

7.45 am... and the Desert Road is open, with a caution ⚠️  in place. So I'll be driving VERY SLOWLY through there for sure. 

I have been literally  reduced to tears by the sheer beauty of the mountains this morning! 

I stopped many times to take a photo, just like dozens of other travellers.

The road was perfectly fine to travel on too.

I'm now parked by Lake Taupo taking a break. Having a nice hot drink and some crackers.


ABOVE: How special to be standing in, and holding the first snow of 2023.

I have a few more photos but will wait till I get home to share them.

Right now I'm gunna go gather some pumice from the shore line of Lake Taupo.

I dont know WHY...I just am.

4.20 pm:  I've been home about an hour, so today's return trip took me 7 hours.

2 hours longer than on Wednesday, because I stopped in lots of places.  There wasn't a time I needed to be home, so I took my time.

It was a lovely, lovely trip.

Far too many trucks on the road!  But they are a necessary evil.

PHOTOS:

ABOVE: These two the second I said I'd updated the blog!!!  Straight on their phones to check it out.  Twats.  Lovely twats though.


ABOVE:  Miss Dede, such a character!  Full of energy and mischief.  I loved her so much.


ABOVE:  The platter (entree) that Mike, Joyce and I shared last night.  It was AMAZING.  Cauliflower bites ... mega yum!  All of it was just delicious.  We forgot to ask what the yellowish dipping sauce was... cos we wouldn't mind making our own, as it was so good.

Joyce and I had Butter Chicken (MILD), Joyce didn't mind hers, but it was a bit too hot for me and I had to ask for some yoghurt to tone it down.  Mike had something that was MEGA HOT... he broke out in a sweat.  lol


ABOVE:  Mt Ruapehu with her first coating of snow for the year.  Beautiful.


ABOVE: Mt Ngauruhoe behind me (the pointy one).  Stunning.



ABOVE:  our majestic Mt Ngauruhoe with her first snow.  I couldn't get over how gorgeous the mountains were with such beautiful, fresh white snow on them.


ABOVE:  Taken on Lake Taupo's foreshore.

I propped my phone up on my cars bonnet, it worked well!

When I arrived back into Hamilton I went straight to the supermarket for some prepared meals for my lunches.  More on that tomorrow.

Now... I'm just a bit tired so am sitting in the family room with me feet up.  

The girls were thrilled to see me home, which was so nice.

Then I wasn't so thrilled with Marely.  More on that again.. tomorrow.

Stew will be home in about 90 minutes, I have missed him.

Well... Stew duly arrived home.  We got takeaways for dinner and then blobbed out in front of the telly.

I can hardly keep my eyes open so am off to bed early.

Catch ya tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:48 AM

    Five hours is a long drive, I admire your energy. I think I am getting old.
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive carefully, enjoy the trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travels. I hope that you have a lovely trip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:41 AM

    Those Avalanche drinks are really good aren’t they. So often sugar free is so ridiculously sweet. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. You scared me! I am glad you were reduced to tears by BEAUTY !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you r home now guess the girls were staying with Steve and bex

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mountains and ranges were spectacular. Next time you’re in Taupo I take you to an art pumice place and lava glass!! You’d fall in love for sure

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a fantastic trip. Girlfriend are the best gift, aren't they? Glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite the drive! Glad you made it safe and sound and had all those pretty things to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great getaway. Pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.