Thursday, September 01, 2022

WHO KNEW?

 While I was outside yesterday afternoon, I wandered around the gardens.

And noticed something for the first time!

ABOVE: We have a Variegated Hydrangea!  I have never noticed it before, though Stew said he had. I am amazed to see a pure white leaf! 🍃 I'm rather hopeful it will have flowers this summer.  But I'm not holding my breath as they can go years with no flowers from what I've read about them.

Also, we probably need to chop the 'normal' half of it out after summer, to encourage the variegated half to prosper.  Look at me, getting all knowledgeable on plants!  😂😅😊🍃

Oh and talking about 'chopping' ... I'm going to attack one of our camellia trees today and tomorrow!

It's GOING.  I hate it.  It's not that pretty, it drops it's flower petals all over the lawn and is killing it, and it's too tall and ruins my sunset photos!

So it's going.  We can put a Pittosporum (rapid growing evergreen) in it's place.

I might make a start on it today, and tomorrow it will get the full chop.  Stew has tomorrow off work, so we are going to spend our day in the garden, getting all the weeding etc done.  Bex is going to help us too, which is great.

Oh and before I forget:


ABOVE:  The  little plum tree we bought recently is doing very well too!  It even has flowers, which means we MIGHT get some plums this season!  I will be very surprised if we do, as it's just a baby tree.

This morning I will do my last chair cover, then get out in the garden.  I hate gardening, but chopping trees down runs in me blood!  My Dad was a logger for 40 + years.  I love chopping down trees. 😂😉😜


9.04 am:  And the tree has had a reprieve of sorts!

ABOVE: This was the tree 'before' I had a go at it.

ABOVE:  And after I took some of the lower branches out.  I quickly realised that if we took the entire tree out we would lose a huge amount of our backyard privacy.
And it would take at least three new trees to fill the gap.
I'm now thinking if Stew takes the top out I get my sunset views back, and we keep our privacy.
By pruning it back it will have less flowers to litter the lawn too.

While out there I found ANOTHER hydrangea hiding behind that camellia tree.  And I think it's another variegated plant.  I will now have to wait until next winter to move it out of there to a better spot.

Now that the pruning is done (for today), I am going back into me sewing room to do the last chair pad cover.

ABOVE:  11 am:  Another good project done.  I will be making another cover as a 'spare'... but not today.
I now need to do a bit of fluffing around in the house.

Fluffing done.  Nana nap done.  Started next project.

ABOVE:  This project has been in me dreams for a very long time.
And I will tell you what it is ... tomorrow.
And don't even try guessing what it is cos you ain't gunna get it right, I assure you!

We are having a very simple dinner this evening, sausages, potatoes and ????  Maybe not veges.  
Baked beans/spaghetti and an egg?  We will see what Stew feels like.

Talking of Stew, he's obviously done a full day at work cos it's now 6 pm and he's not home yet.  He will be stuck in traffic for sure.

Stew got home not long after 6 and we had a really lovely silly bugger dinner. 
I'm now watching Coronation Street then heading off to bed.  

10 comments:

  1. Oh no - all of your spring flowers means my summer is coming to an end. And winter is brutal. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the Camellia tree! I had a couple and while the flowers are pretty, they make a heck of a mess. I got rid of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would much rather have camellia than pittostrum, I think they are actually classed as a weed here as they get into the native bush

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Choice on the tree. It is quite nice for privacy. Pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have aĂąd love camellias mine are far enough back in the garden to just dropping on the garden. Pittosoporum play hell with my breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am another camellia lover but mine isn't over lawn so it's petals just cover the paving. I wish they held on to their flowers a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Such beautiful flowers. Love the variegated hydrangea! Spring is so awesome. Glad the tree has been saved. Ky Girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey you are a busy bee 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:25 AM

    That material looks scrumptious and I can't wait to see what you've turned it into. Ky Girl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:37 AM

    I hate Camelias too. They're only.pretty for a short time then they're a mess. Have 3 on the front lawn. I'm excited Bout your variegated hydrangea. I don't think I've ever seen one. Kj

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.