Monday, March 04, 2024

OUT AND ABOUT FOR A LITTLE BIT

 


First up for today, I'm heading to the supermarket to buy a heap of Fabric Softener, something like this:

Quite some time ago I was given a very large amount of fabric from a friend.
It was from a smokers home, and even though I washed it all, it still smelt like smoke.

A few of days ago I thought of soaking small amounts of the fabric in Fabric Softener for a couple of days, before re-washing it.

And it seems to have worked.  I soaked three lengths of fabric, washed and dried it over the weekend, and it's useable again!  I SAVED IT.

Most of the fabric is not patterns I would use normally, but it's perfectly good for runner backings.  SCORE.  

The three funky bird runners I am finishing off today will have some of the 'saved' fabric as their backing fabrics.

I'm so happy I have finally found a use for this fabric.

Because I got most of the housework done over the weekend, I don't have to do much this morning.  I can get me fabric softener, then get back into the sewing room.
My happy place.

ABOVE: Bex gave me a little cutting of her plant about a year ago.  Look at it now!

I have no idea how I've not killed it yet!  I have killed lots of succulents, which are supposed to be super hardy.  Derr, I don't know.

I just water me indoor plants once a week and hope that continues to work.

I'm rather proud of that plant.  😊😏

The things that make ya smile eh?

Right, I better get a move on... 

CATCH YA LATER...

I've not been out yet.

I got an idea in my head, one that I've had before.  And this morning I just had to see if 'it' could work.

The big windows behind Stew's and my lounge chairs don't open.... well I lie.  One very small window does, but it is useless at letting in any fresh air.

I got a quote from a glazing company a couple of years ago to put in stacker windows, but the quote was ASTRONOMICAL for what needed to be done.  So I flagged it as not viable.

But now?  I reckon if we put sliding doors there instead of stacker windows (like what's in the sunroom), it could be a more economical option.

So, in light of that, I fluffed around this morning, seeing if it would work with opening sliding doors behind our chairs.

ABOVE:  If I pulled our chairs apart just a bit more, and put the small coffee table to Stew's left.... it leaves more than enough room to walk through the gap and outside.

The next step was to see if I could rearrange the outdoor furniture, pots etc to allow access from the 'doors to be'.


ABOVE:  And YES!  It took a bit of work moving stuff around, putting planter boxes back around the other side of the house, moving pots etc, but I did it.

And I'm happy to say our next PROJECT will be to rip out those useless windows and put in sliding doors.

The time frame is probably around 6 months, to get us over winter. (but might be sooner)

But at least I have a project 'in mind', which excites me.  I thought we didn't really have much more to do to this house... but I am always thinking of things.

And NOW I might just go out and get that Fabric Softener.

ABOVE:  Two down, 1 to go.

But... I'm stopping for some lunch.

And then I'll come back in here and finish the 3rd one.

ABOVE: And that's a wrap on Funky Bird Runners for the time being.

Tomorrow I will start another different one.

Grrrr.... no TV for hours due to 'Atmospheric Conditions'... we've had that ERROR message on our screen multiple times over the past few months, even when there is no rain or storms anywhere in the bloody country.

Same tonight.  Tried ringing Sky.  They put Stew on hold for half an hour, then at 8pm they closed for the night.  WTF?  24 hour service my ARSE.

So Stew tried disconnecting then reconnecting  the SKY Box.  It worked!

Fuck don't tell me it was that easy after all this time???  I'm not impressed.  Why didn't we think of that sooner?  Derr.

Such a waste of time sitting here fuming when the TV didn't work.

At least I didn't miss Coronation Street again.  edit:  It's Monday, there's no Coronation Street tonight eh?  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜•

Signing off for the day.  Catch ya tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. That plants looks healthy and robust. I kill plants. I'm not a good plant mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:34 AM

    I have read that vinegar inthe wash helps to get rid of smells in fabric too.
    Around here it takes at least 6 months to get windows replaced. I got quotes to replace our 2 front windows. I know they are big windows but one quote was $5,500 the other was $6,500 but when I said that they needed to open it went to 7,500. Needless to say they still are the original 63 year old windows Quotes were about 3 years ago so I hate to think what they are now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:13 PM

    When looking at sliding doors get ones with opening windows cause be time you just want air....these ranch sliders here and another house dnt have opening windows it's a pain. Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:21 PM

    Hi Chris,

    I’d recommend getting more than one quote for anything.
    My brother is in the process of replacing a full house lot of aluminum joinery out of his house & replacing it all with double glazed aluminum joinery. To do a whole house lot one quote was $30,000 less then the other. He thought that couldn’t possibly be correct, so he went to both factories to check out quality etc and it was all the same guage material etc so one company wanted $70,000 and the other one is $40,000

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the window / door project something Steve could help with? Do you already have windows that go to the floor? So, you won't have to rip out the exterior wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at the photo Christine. It is floor to almost the ceiling windows already. Steve probably can help with the install, not sure yet.

      Delete
  6. Kiwionholidays5:31 PM

    Another great catchup n pics
    Lovely shares
    So exciting another plan under way for you ones to look forward to and enjoy ,
    It’s amazing how ,,,,the longer we’re in our home ,the more we realise that our lives change ,, like the seasons , and we have to add or take away some things ,

    It’s great having Steve in the trade too, and as families can throw out lots of ideas and plans with what works best
    Good on you stepping πŸ’―πŸ•ΊπŸΏit all out like you did
    Cheers πŸ₯‚

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:04 PM

    They are awesome those wonky birds. I love the colours. How did you kill succulents lol. Overwater??? Kj

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.