Thursday, March 21, 2024

FBG WALK

 

Today I'm heading over to Cambridge for my next FBG walk.

I've promised myself I would do at least one a week, so I'm off to a good start.

When I get home I plan on...

 SEWING BOWL COSY's again.

So, I shall probably be fairly quiet again today.

ABOVE:  How's that for three days work? Half that time was spent just cutting out fabrics and batting. 

29 Bowl Cosy's.  I'm not going to stop until I run out of batting!  That might be another 50 cosy's away and I don't care.  I am going to stock up for the rest of the year.

I am thoroughly enjoying making them again.

CATCH YA LATER...

ABOVE:  A beautiful day today... nice and crisp to start with, then it warmed up to almost too hot to be out walking.

ABOVE:  The FBG walk itself?  I feel like I can't do this time frame again.  The pace is a bit too slow for me right now.
I felt dreadful when I actually just walked ahead on my own... because I didn't feel like I was getting any benefit from walking with the group.
The yakking is nice of course, and the company. 
But if I'm going to get out there for a walk, it needs to be beneficial to my fitness.
I am sure I have offended some by going ahead on my own, but it is what it is.

I think I am gunna have to start doing the evening walks, cos they are faster.

It just impinges on my time with Stew.  But in saying that, if I only go once a week, that's not too bad eh?

ABOVE: Heading home from Cambridge, all the trees are still holding on to their leaves.
It won't be much longer before they all start dropping leaves everywhere.

ABOVE:  Today's walk stats.  It was a 5 km walk, but I did a bit of a warm up walk before the 'actual' walk started.  By walking faster on the second half, I managed to get the pace up a bit.
So it was a decent walk at the end of the day.

Now that I'm home, I am of course heading off to the sewing room.
I got two bowl cosy's made before I left for Cambridge this morning, so I'm ahead already.

So I'm sitting here sewing, and my brain is going around and around in circles.

I feel really bad about my walk this morning, about how rude I probably seemed walking off on my own.
It was rude. 

 But this has made me think very hard about being a member of the FBG's.
Their motto is WALK, TALK AND SUPPORT.

I now realise that my reason for walking is not the same as theirs anymore.
For me it's for fitness, no more and no less.

The FBG's have a social side that I enjoy, but clearly the walks, particularly during the day, are not going to work for me, given my reason for walking.

So.  With that in mind, should I leave the FBG's?
I feel like I should.  I'm not in Cambridge anymore.  I only see people from Cambridge if I go on a walk or a FBG social event.

I don't feel like I 'belong' there anymore.

ABOVE:  My (possible) last FBG Walk photo.

Since typing the above, I've talked with the lady who lead today's walk.  I apologised for walking ahead.  And why.
And she was perfectly OK with it.  And has told me if that's what I want to do, it's fine by her.
But I'm working on a new 'plan'... probably more on this topic tomorrow, once I've got it straight in my head.

I've just had a late lunch (2 pm), and am about to head back into the sewing room for a few more hours.

6 pm:  And it's a new record...

ABOVE:  18 Bowl Cosy's made today!
I'm rather chuffed with that effort.

And... I've made up my mind what to do about my walking decision.  I'll think on  it overnight so I'm sure of it, then tell ya.

Now, I'm off to spend an hour with Steve, Bex and kids before picking Stew up from the pub and bringing him home.

Lily was in a right mood when I arrived at their home this evening, so I walked her around outside for half an hour.  She loved that.
So typical for tiny babies to get so cranky early evening eh?

Steve arrived home and he managed to keep her settled for a while too, then Bex got her to sleep for a while.

Stew arrived from the pub at around 7 pm and we got home at 7.30 pm.

I'm now watching the telly, feet up till bedtime.

Catch ya tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:21 AM

    Great project!
    So exciting to use up all that fabric!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:32 AM

    Maybe the evening walks will be on pub night or when there is game on TV.

    You could do a solo fast walk before the group walk, so you are tired and the group walk then becomes a cool down.

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! To have the group too slow for you just shows how fit you have become. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:00 PM

    You should do fbg just as a social walk once a week, as those girls inspired you to walk in the first place. Yes you were rude. I don’t think the fbg left you behind when you started. You can always do another walk on your own on the same day. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:27 PM

    I think it’s worth going once a week more for the talk and support part and for the rest of your wee do your own thing and walk at your pace ?
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't dump the FBG. Social interaction is just as important as exercise - and you LIKE those people. You can walk faster on your own, or supplement with other at home exercises. Or walk with them once a week, or twice a month, or loop around them... Something...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:48 PM

    The length of the walk is the important part not the speed at which you do it. Research has proven that any exercise is good exercise and doesn't necessarily have to be cardio. Don't lose touch with the fbg in Cambridge as you haven't managed to replace them in Hamilton - you have your family close otherwise you would be lonely while Stew is at work. Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you actually enjoy the social contact then absolutely walk slow and enjoy the chat! There are plenty of other places you can walk fast but surely making friends far out weighs how fast you walk once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Stop beating yourself up Chris, you’re overthinking. Agree with Lynda, enjoy the chat and friendship once a week and walk your arse off on other days, maybe get there early on FBG days and do 30 minutes beforehand. Marie, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why not go for a social walk with the girls then later on in the day or evening go for a speedy walk around the neighborhood. Afterall is is only once a week. It would give you the social connection and you could get the extra steps on the other end.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.