Thursday, February 23, 2023

WOW, SO DIFFERENT!

 Every now and then, when I'm over in Cambridge, I do a drive by of our old house.

After we left, the new owners stripped it on the outside of any character.  Gardens/trees/side screen and so on... all went.

It looked NAKED.

And it stayed that way until recently... when I saw it yesterday I was very surprised.

They had.... PAINTED the brickwork:

ABOVE: And they've put some plants in the garden by the front door too.

I can't get over how changed it looks.  They have made it their own for sure.

I always wanted to paint the brickwork, but wasn't brave enough.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll paint THIS house we are in right now?

ABOVE:  A different view.  They have kept a smattering of the smaller fruit trees, but taken down the big plum trees.  And put in an inground pool.

It's looking lovely.

I really, really like it white.

I think I am going to be dreaming about painting this house now.  😖😜  I wonder what Stew would say if I suggest it?

Bet he rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

Sadly, once I get an idea in my head....


Moving on... today shall be dedicated to sewing.

And pricing house paint... 😂😅😉


Big decision... and one that rests my mind.  And probably Stew's too.
I don't think our home would suit being painted white.  The brick is nice enough on it's own.

I dreamed about it.  My dreams are usually right.

In the past few weeks I have felt like our home is getting 'cluttered'.
I'm a notorious collector.
Little bottles were the latest 'thing'.
It was doing me head in.
So this morning I spent a good couple of hours going through all my bits 'n' bobs.

I had little glass bottles in several places.  There were 5 'things' on the dining table.  And so on.  It was just too much.

So, I went through and put things that did not give me IMMENSE JOY into a box to go to the Op Shop.  I've done this many times before.  And then REPLACED a lot of shit with more shit.

But now I'm feeling like I can let go of lots of clutter and 'things'.

I believe I collect stuff as a way of controlling my life in some way?  Does that make sense?
It's something I have to try and get on top of.

Collecting stuff.  Overeating.  Worrying over EVERYTHING.  It all stems from feeling out of control I think.

Acknowledging that is half the battle.  

ABOVE:  I didn't get rid of my little glass bottles, I just condensed them into one corner.  The 'shoe rack'.  lol
It was slowly being taken over by ornaments anyway.
I think I've got 4-5 bottles that are going to the Op Shop, as they didn't really ring me bells.

4 pm:  Hi!  I got carried away with me day.   I went over to Bex's and picked up a few bags of stuff she had to donate to the op shop, then off I went.
Dropped it all off then had to gas up me car.
Then, considerably poorer, I went to the supermarket for just a couple of things.

AND I came home with JUST those couple of things!  Miracles do happen sometimes.

Then I did some more fluffing around in the house, had some lunch, and did some sewing.

And now I'm waiting for Stew to get home cos we are off to our 'local' to meet up with friends for a quiet drink.  Well ... they drink.  I do Diet Coke, cos I'm the sober driver.
Which does not bother me in the least.  I don't really enjoy alcohol.

Unlike some piss heads I can think of.  😂😅😆  Each to their own eh.

ABOVE:  For Dogstars.  I can't see it white, can you?

Best laid plans... we didn't go to the pub after all.  Stew got home late from work, so we canned it.
Had a nice dinner together and watched the telly.
Nice quiet evening.
Catch ya tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. It looks so good painted white. It's just a very clean look, and the roof color goes well with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house looks good! Kind of boring without your blue touches though lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked back at the house with my 'blue touches' and was like, YEAH NAH. Too much. I overdo it all the time. That is why I am spending hours this morning de-cluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:30 AM

    I’m the total opposite to you Chris, I am very much a “less is more” person. (Except for cake tins, platters etc which I have lots of but still use, but they’re tucked away in cupboards). Marie, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep TRYING to be a less is more person. I TRY. I think I have issues.

      Delete
  5. Seeing your old house messed me up. Now, I can not remember what your current house looks like from the outside. Post a pic!
    I can't decide if I like it white or not. I mean, it looks fine. But - is it better? It's hard to tell that it is brick now. Is that good or bad?
    Meh, seems like a lot of work to have a house that did look good - still look good. And what about upkkep? Do you need to repaint a brick house? I know nothing about painting brick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right about looking for control. I think you are making huge changes in many areas of your live and are gaining back some control so your "over the top" mentality will become "I really want this". Good on you, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painting the brick walls will need constant maintenance and repainting every 5 yrs or so...by time it needs redoing you both be in your 70's do u really want to be climbing on scaffolding at 70? when a water blaster freshens up the house beautifully. My obsessions do the same Christmas lights and card making supplies being the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:59 PM

    Bottles look great on that rack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:59 PM

    Back in 2004 I lived in a brick house that we painted black ( which was popular at the time), lived there 15 years before selling it. The paint we used was a weather shield and was still in great condition, Mia very different from having a weather board house. I don’t know any house that needs painting every 5 years.
    Speak to a professional if unsure. We painted ours ourselves as the quotes were around $8000 - $10,000 back then. The cost of paint was $2600 and a couple of weekends, so saved big on not paying for labour. It was also a single level home which was easy peasy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:56 PM

    You are correct, IMO would not look good painted, leave as is.
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.