Thursday, October 31, 2013

HANG IN THERE WEE FLINT

I took Flint to the Emergency Vet earlier on this evening (6 pm), and I was told the only thing we can do for him is try and give him a bottle every 2 hours, so, I've been doing just that. 

The vet gave Flint an injection of Vitamin B 12 to give him a boost, and a calcium supplement for Coco, which will benefit the pups.
Fingers crossed that helps.

By about 8 pm last night I was feeling REALLY sick, most likely due to a combination of tiredness, not taking my anti-depressants and fear for Flint, so I left the pups in the care of Stew, Steve and Bex and went to bed.
They let me sleep until 11.30 pm, so I'm feeling a bit better now.

FLINT:  has had a few feeds from Coco and is looking a little better, though I am NOT counting my chickens with this little puppy.  He's got a long way to go before I will be more relaxed about him.

As you can imagine, I will not be doing much today apart from keeping an eagle eye on the pups, and Flint in particular.

6.50 am.  Flint is still with us, but he is still not doing well at all.  He's lost weight since last night, and isn't sucking anymore.  I am syringing milk into him now.
Hopefully by making sure he is getting milk today he will pick up.  I can only hope.

I should mention:  all the other puppies are doing very well AND Dante's cold is getting better.  He's been off his food too, but is almost back to normal now.

As for me?  I took my anti-depressants last night as I just knew I was feeling shocking after not having any for 6 days!  I'm feeling way better this morning too now.

Please don't worry about ME.  Last night was just a bit too much, I was overly tired/emotional and so should NOT have stopped taking me medication.  Lesson learnt AGAIN.  DON'T DO IT!



Bex and I are both hovering.  Every time he wakes up we try to get him on a nipple, and at 8am he went on.  So we held him there and stopped the other puppies from nudging him off.  Then we topped him up with some formula. 

I can see how easy it is for a little runt like Flint to die... he is just too fragile to do much for himself right now.  The Vet did warn me that even our best efforts might not work and nature will take it's course.  I say BUGGER NATURE!  I am gunna do all it takes to make him well.  If he does die, it won't be from lack of care.

I took Brylee's Enrolment Form down to Alfriston College this morning ... and damn it, I had forgotten to get her to sign it, so will have to take her over there this afternoon.  That will fit in well with the other thing I must do today.
Have me quarterly blood tests.  I'm not even stressed thinking about it, I just want it done and then get out of there so I can get home again.

Oh to add to our worries, Stew's car has an oil leak and he had to park it on the side of the road last night and walk home.  He's taken my car to work today, goodness knows how long it will take to get his car fixed.  $$$'s we can hardly afford to be worrying about.
I won't even mention how much it cost at the Emergency Vet's last night!  Scary!


ABOVE:  a video of Flint, showing how laboured his breathing is.  Poor little fulla, I'm so hoping he pulls through whatever is causing this.

DAVID: thanks for your input.  I shall try giving him some boiled water and maple syrup!  It's the only glucose based  stuff I've got in the house right now.  Any idea on how much water/syrup I should try him with?  He's only 6 days old and weighs 207 grams.

I've talked to our vet, and will hold off any glucose supplements for now.  We may even need to take him to see our Vet at some point, just to make sure he's not getting worse.

so... Coco and Flint are going to our Vet this afternoon at 4.30.  They will give them both a thorough going over, and they can tell me if I'm fighting a loosing battle.  Poor Flint keeps fluctuating between battling and gasping.  Neither is good, but watching him gasping is making me feel sick.  I don't know how long I can prolong his life if he's only going to die anyway?
And I can't bear to sit here hour after hour watching him suffer.

Flint has  Pneumonia  He has been given an injection of Antibiotics and an electrolyte/glucose solution to try and turn him around.
The Vet was very honest and said he has a 75-80% chance of passing away.  
If he shows no signs of improvement by this time tomorrow we can and should take him back to be put to sleep as we are only prolonging his misery.

His body temperature keeps dropping dangerously low too, so I've put him on a hot water bottle and wrapped him in a woolen blanket too.  Obviously the heating pad in the whelping pen isn't enough for him.

He's on electrolyte/milk formula every hour and a half from now until he either picks up... or doesn't.

Trying very hard not to cry.  This has been my biggest fear after losing Sage in our last litter.  


How adorable is this?  Flint is on the hottie bottle, all snug and his brother Jasper climbed in with him.  Awwwwww.

End of Day:  well... little Flint has taken some electrolyte solution, some formula AND he suckled off Coco for a little while too.  So I'm feeling happy, if very cautious in my relief.  It's early hours for him.
I will be up all night, feeding him and keeping him warm so will say goodnite now.
nite nite

*sniffle*  Thanks for  all the lovely comments today, some of them made me cry, and Lacy... your's sure did.

37 comments:

  1. Uh-oh! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hope the little man picks up. Take care of yourself as well Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no poor Flint. Hopefully he is a little fighter. You hang in there Chris... take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor wee Flint. I hope he pulls through, I know you are working hard to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers and toes crossed that little wee Flint gets stronger... you are doing a superb job as mid-wife!! It is a ral roller-coaster of emotions when you have a sick pet. Kia Kaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:11 AM

    Hope wee Flint pulls through, thinking of you Chris. All of the puppies look gorgeous. Take care of yourself. Gayle and Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about Flint. Do hope he responds to your loving care. Good to know the rest of your family are doing well.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about Flint. Give it your best shot with him I know you are and hopefully he is a little fighter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do hope little Flint gets better today and I do hope you get some rest please please look after yourself today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about Flint, sending positive vibes to him. I know how much you care for those puppies. Flint will have to go to a very special owner, maybe you if he makes it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do believe wee Flint will stay with Ma if he pulls through, after all the effort Ma has put in and so on, that would only be right :)

      Delete
  11. I hope little Flint gets better. And I hope you get some much deserved rest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If sheer will, love and determination can help Flint, then you've done that and more. Sending him and you good vibes xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Hi Chris,
    I have bred dogs for over 20 years sometimes if you give a pup like Flint some glucose it can help.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris has Flint got fluid in his lungs didn't the last puppy have fluid in the lungs from milk? I do hope it helps bin inn have powdered glucose? I think

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:55 PM

    maple syrup is not glucose it is sucrose

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:16 PM

    Hi Chris,
    I usuall put 3 drops in the formular. Watch Coco closely because i have had bitches reject the pup and push it away from the others .People say its nature take care of things , but there is nothing worse then a sick little pup battling to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi yeah I was going to say watch Coco too as she could turn on Flint to concentrate on looking after the other healthier pups, we had that happen to us and we ended up having to remove the pup completely and look after him ourselves

    Thinking of you all and hoping for the best

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no!! Prayers for you guys! I know you're doing everything you can for Flint!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor little boo :( I hope he makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Come on little one give it heaps Thanks for caring Chris

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous6:07 PM

    Hugs for little Flint Come on boy Mary H

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a sad sad situation. So sorry to hear Flint is not well, and sending warmth and vitality to him. Little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry about Flint..he is so little and precious. Sending lots of good thoughts your way!
    Hang in there,Flint.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww Chris ; ( thats really crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous7:26 PM

    Hugs Chris. Poor little Flint, he's lucky he has you fighting for him. We all know that you will do whatever it takes and won't give up without a fight. You're an amazing person Chris. :)
    Kym/Australia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous8:04 PM

    Poor little darling. Be brave and strong Flint. You will be in my thoughts tonight.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear wee Flint, it was so good to meet you today, and I look forward to many more days of seeing you grow all big and fluffy and chasing the baby's round, you have so much fight in you and my Ma won't stop or give up on you, she will do everything in her power to help you get better.
    So you keep fighting little one xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thinking of you. I hope Flint pulls through but if he doesn't you can be proud of the fact that you did everything in your power to help him, he is one very lucky wee puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stay strong little Flint, we're all cheering you on - come on little man.
    Hang in there Chris - I know you're doing your best - that's all you can do. xxx
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good luck Chris, if anyone can pull lil Flint through, you could.
    Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Chris - I hope Flint pulls through. I can't get over how quick it all is from conception to puppies in doggy land!! Even more strange is how "on time" Coco is with her deliveries. I hope your night goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I hope the new day brings better news about Flint. I love that people all around the world are supporting you in your efforts to save the wee little pup.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am over here in Minnesota cheering Flint on. You are so very dedicated and loving! Flint and Coco must know that and it should bring them good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous7:50 AM

    oh for gawd sake! Get over it girl! this is life, you win some, you loose some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a horrible thing to say! - if you can't put a name to your comment, keep it to yourself!!
      Chris, I think you are doing a wonderful job with those babies and you should be proud of yourself. They couldn't be in better hands! x

      Delete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.