Tuesday, August 08, 2023

NEW QUILTING GROUP?

WELL.... I am finally doing it!

I put a question out on Facebook, asking about quilting groups here in Hamilton a couple of weeks ago.

And I was invited to join a group that meets once a month, from 9 till mid afternoon,  on the second Tuesday of the month.

So today ... with some trepidation, I'm going.

Trepidation because I am so hopeful that it goes well, and I feel welcome.

The last quilting group I joined (in Cambridge) was NOT welcoming at all.  I constantly felt like I was literally there on my own, even though the hall was full of ladies.

No one made much of an effort to get to know me, or include me in their tight little groups.  It was a horrible feeling.  I stuck it out for over a year, then gave up.  

One lady told me I could not be her friend, as she already had ENOUGH friends.  BUT, I could be an 'acquaintance'.  I was like, GOBSMACKED that someone could be so rude!

I really hope I click with some people at this new group!  

I know I will need to give it time.

Because I'm not sure if ladies will be sewing or whatever, I'm taking my machine etc... but will leave them in the car till I ascertain what's the haps at the meeting.

Because this group carries on over lunchtime, I'm taking a wrap for me lunch.  And a thermos of my hot drink, AND Diet Coke of course.  There's quite a bit to sort out.  So I better get on with it.

I might do an update during the meeting, to let ya know how it's going.


And it's now 8.46 am and I'm sitting in the car on me own... cos I got to the venue far too early.  I am virtually always early to things.

VICKIE:  Great idea!  I have brought my knitting bag with me,  in case no one else brings their sewing machine. 

11.10 am... and this group is LOVELY!!!!!
I am thoroughly enjoying myself. More later.

2.30 pm, and I'm home from patchwork group.

Gosh where to start?

The ladies were so welcoming!  So chatty.  So friendly.
Just a really nice feel to this group.

There were 12 ladies there today, plus me.

All were doing various different things, some sewing, some doing handwork, embroidery etc.
I set my sewing machine up and got to work.

ABOVE:  I never for one moment felt 'alone', there was friendly banter the entire time.  And I was INCLUDED.
So different from Cambridge.

ABOVE:  'L' had this super pretty sewing machine!  I fell in love with it.
As I found out each person's name, I 'wrote' it down as a note on my phone.  I am going to try and remember them all!


ABOVE:  I got 5 bowl cosy's finished in group today.

Two of the ladies live very close to me.  One of them is going to pick me up on Saturday and take me to the Waikato Guild meeting in Chartwell!

Seems I should be going... lol.

They meet once a month on a Saturday, and while I knew about it, I'd never thought of going before as it often falls on a Market day.
But, I'll give it a go when I can attend.

Both ladies who live near me told me they saw my yarn bombed tree and loved it.  I didn't tell them it was my tree, they GUESSED it was mine!

Can't think why.  

I made myself a wrap for my lunch.  I used Basil Pesto and salad stuff ...

ABOVE:  Note to self... NEVER use Basil Pesto if you are gunna wrap it up and take it out for lunch.  What a bloody mess!   It was hideous how much oil came out of that wrap.

Next time I'll use hummus instead.

I had planned on doing a lake walk with Lacy this afternoon, but she's not 100%. So might have to be tomorrow, all going well.

5 pm:  and Lacy changed her mind and we went for a walk after all!

ABOVE:  .6 km into our walk and I realised that I'd not actually started my walking app, so I set it to start here.  Then we walked around the lake to this point, then backtracked to the car. 


 
So, we did a longer walk today.... 4.8 kms all up.  Remember, the first .6 kms wasn't recorded.
Or the time it took to do that extra bit.  I was really happy with our walk today.  Much later in the day, still very cool.

Traffic on the way home was a shit.  Just saying.


ABOVE: Behind me is the section of Waikato Hospital, where I gave birth to Michael.  
I was only in the hospital for about 8 hours before I took him home.  Fast birth, no problems.


ABOVE:  I don't shudder when I see my shadow now.  It's not that GREAT, but OMG it's so much better!
The top I'm wearing makes me look 'hippish'... but I'm not really.
I didn't even mind Lacy's shadow beside me, usually I'd tell her to piss off so I didn't look as big!
lol
I forgot to take a photo of her today... but oh well... I got her shadow!

I'm now going to make a hot drink to take to my WW meeting.  I'm thinking of weighing in again in a week or two.  Back to it in other words.

8.10 pm:  WW meeting was lovely, I feel like a part of this group now!  It just needed time.

Home, and I had yoghurt and fresh fruit for my dinner.  And one sausage, cos Stew had cooked some and I couldn't resist having ONE.

Now.. keeping warm, and looking forward to bedtime.  It's been a busy day!

Catch ya tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:08 AM

    I am not sure if this/your group does this, but groups I have belonged to in the past, they go around the room to introduce themselves, say something tiny about themselves, and show what they brought to work on that day. These are fast, not prolonged. It helps everything.

    If they do not do this, I would suggest going around the room yourself, a little each meeting, to see people’s projects and listen to their stories.

    If you haven’t left yet, take an extension cord and a good light. Leave them in the car with your machine until you see if you need them.

    Note - A good project to take to this group would be the knitting on your little cases, it would all fit in a tiny bag. You would be able to easily move around the room during the day.

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you a lovely morning Chris and they are a welcoming group of ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! A new activity. I hope it goes well! Where that fish shirt. It would be a good conversation starter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck.. its hard to break in but hopefully in time it'll be awesome 👌

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww nice be brave and hang it out for a few months x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im thrilled to c u r having a good time, I know the feeling of not belonging...so many times I've gone to a meeting or something only to go home feeling I was intruding or just turn around not go in at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, sounds like this may the group for you rather than those yucks in Cambridge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Glad to hear your first visit is positive
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had a fabulous time I put pesto in a little container and add it in at last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy that you found a group that you like! What kind of wrap is that? It looks like rice paper or something. Or a spring roll wrapper. I always thought the wraps were made with a flour tortilla or similiar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiwionholidays5:11 PM

    Well done you fabulous that you felt so at home and the ladies welcoming to you. I love that picture of the great grandparent and like the other said a retro frame or op shop frame would stand out so well it’s just beautiful great you’ve had a great day catch up soon.

    Cheers 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:51 PM

    What a positive day you have had….except for your pack up!😉😂
    Pleased that you enjoyed yourself and that you feel ‘accepted’.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely day you've had.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love you had a good day with the quilting group. You look wonderful in the picture

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.