Wednesday, August 09, 2023

KNEES

 

Right, here's a question for you.

How the hell do you strengthen you knees?

Several times lately, I've crouched right down to get a good photo, and have really struggled to get back up again.

On Sunday, Stew had to lift me back up from a squat position.  I was on a slippery slope, so couldn't get on my hands and knees and push myself up from that position (which I CAN do).

Any ideas... let me know please. (I have a Swiss Ball btw, just don't use it!)  I need inspiration.


Yesterday I got an amazing email from my friend Nicole in the USA.  She 'tinkered' with my Great Grandmother's photo (cleaned it up), then sent me two versions:   


ABOVE: This is the original version, just tidied up a bit.

ABOVE: And THIS !  Is a colour version, which I absolutely adore.

OMG Nicole, you are amazing.  And I love how you made her dress blue.   I am sure it was blue... cos well... what other colour is there?  lol

I am going to get both versions printed out  and framed.

I can't thank you enough Nicole.  YOU ROCK.

Now, today.   I'm going to unpack my sewing gear after yesterday's patchwork meeting.

Then I'm really not sure what I will get up to.


Two and a half hours.  Fluffing around the house.
Getting washing on.  Tidying rooms.  Sorting out plants etc.  So yeah, just fluffing.

And now.   This:

ABOVE:  Papers, receipts, warranties, important papers.... time to sort them all out.
I've been meaning to do it for a very long time.
Seems.  Today is the day.

1.5  hours later.  And I'm about 2/3rds of the way through sorting it all out.  MY god I'm getting rid of so much of it.
I've stuff there that's dated 10 or more  years ago.  It's all going out. 

Some of it will get given to the kids, like their Plunket books!  I'm sure I don't really need them now right?   To think I've kept them all this time. 😗

I'm taking a break now... I'm frozen to the bone.  Just want to sit and relax with a hot pod or two for a while.  The papers can wait till a bit later now.

3.10 pm:  And it's done.  What a shit job.  But now it's done I can stop procrastinating about it.
Everything is sorted into categories, and put away.
Except for...

ABOVE:  The rubbish.  And those two little things.
NO idea how we ended up with 'them' in our house!
Might just toss them in the rubbish as well eh? 😂😅😊

ABOVE: I'm seriously done for the day!  I have been on the go since I got up.  It is time to stop and warm up again.

Well it's the end of a long, productive day.  I'm happy with heaps of things today.  I've made a big decision... a challenge for myself.
More on that tomorrow.

I just have my dinner, which was Greek Yoghurt with fresh fruit (pear and banana).  So YUM!  I do add artificial sweetener to the yoghurt as I find it too tart.  It's such a nice end of day meal, not too heavy.  

Right, I'm off to continue watching the telly, playing Free Cell, and sometimes yakking to Stew!

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:55 AM

    It is likely your thigh and flute muscles, not your actual knees.

    I am assuming it is not easy to work with a physical therapist there? If you can, that would be best.

    If not, look online for things like:

    sit to stand without arm support

    Lunge with counter support


    Start very slowly with a small amount of one exercise and see how you do

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:02 AM

      Glute

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:57 PM

      START VERY SLOW,
      Like a short amount of one exercise

      WATCH THE KNEE AND FOOT PLACEMENT VERY CAREFULLY,
      KNEE STAYS OVER or BEHIND THE FOOT, not beyond it

      I would look for videos that use a chair or counter to start

      Vickie

      Delete
    3. Anonymous2:47 AM

      I thought of another one for you to look up - bridge. It is a good place to start because it is supported on the floor. Weight/support when you have hips lifted is feet and shoulders (NOT head or neck).

      I also think it would be good fit for you to look for an exercise class geared toward seniors. Not geriatric, but older folks. This would be a year round activity (unlike pool) and give you a routine. You would meet people. Hopefully there is one in your area that meets 2-3 times a week in person. If not, look online.

      I have a long history with free weights classes, Pilates and yoga. At 62 I am now doing just yoga, about 6-8 (one hour) classes a week. Some are stretching only, others are active flow. It makes a huge positive difference in my arthritis pain level. Improved strength, flexibility, range of motion too. It gets me out. I run a needed errand on the way home, most days, so that keeps me organized.
      Vickie

      Delete
  2. Wow! The photos are really nice!

    Maybe just squat and stand as you hold on to something like a counter, or fence, etc. . I am trying to work on "squatting" so I don't lose the ability. It is probably your legs not your knees. But anyhow, I imagine if you strengthen one the other will improve as well!

    I'm going to Barbie tonight. I even found a pink-ish shirt to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:35 AM

    Agree with above. It’s the muscles, google squatting. I’m nearly 70 and train at gym every day, primarily to keep my strength. Even getting a firm chair and continually sitting up and down is better than nothing. Marie, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to be able squat but no more my knees are shot. As for getting off the floor what a joke...I feel a month or so back and had to get 2 ambulances and staff to help me up, when I win lotto I'm going to buy myself one of there lift things

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:55 AM

    I have arthritis in my knees so I can't squat, kneel, bend or so anything so I had to giggle at your predicament. Last night I dropped a cushion on the floor with the aim to sit and play with the bunny. Um, couldn't even squat to get my bum onto the cushion. Ended up on all fours, leaning my butt to the side, then lifting my butt to slide the cushion under it. Had to get up the same way - kneel on all fours, then pull myself up the chair. Totes amusing and not something I'm going to repeat soon! This picture of you sitting so nicely on the ground with nothing else around you? Nope, never happen! Hahaha! xx Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:06 PM

    I recognise that pic 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't squat at all now. It's my knee arthritis, too much pain to squat. I have to bend at the waist and getting up off the floor is now way more difficult. It blows my mind how fast this happened to me. I never imagined mobility being such an issue a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:46 PM

      It comes on so unexpectedly and so fast, doesn't it. Have had two knee replacements which have helped with pain but not with mobility (I use a walker). Last time I sat on the ground like Chris I had to crawl to the nearest tree and haul myself up - haven't tried again since. Getting older would be fine if it weren't for arthritis and other age-related conditions. Oh well, it is what it is. Audrey

      Delete
  8. Anonymous1:12 PM

    Barbie was super good! Hubby liked it too! Don’t be shy! Go see it! Fun to see it on a big screen, very colorful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:32 PM

    Chris, check out Grow Young Fitness on Facebook. He has lots of easy exercises for hip and knee mobility too Marie, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks good! He even has a 3 day knee workout! I will certainly spend some time watching his videos and getting ideas. Thank You Marie.

      Delete
    2. Looks good, he's on Youtube too (easier to watch). I might give it a go :)

      Delete
  10. Chris join the club. Two of my friends and I have just started going to this Steady as you GO class for that very same reason. There are lots of exercises you can do for leg strengthening, just google them or you may even have one of these classes in your area. This one is run by Age Concern and it is free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those photo's are absolutely gorgeous, thinking I should do the same with a lot of old ones I have. Yesterday, my partner? ? showed me an invoice for his wife's stay in hospital when his daughter was born....are you ready.........1967!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.