Wednesday, January 25, 2023

REFRESH, REMEMBER

 I took a walk down memory lane ...

To remind myself of my weight loss journey over the past 20 years.

When I was at my heaviest, when at goal, and where I am now.

It wasn't too depressing, because I have never ever given up, even when I have gained weight back.

I've always thought "I can lose it again".  And I am.

ABOVE:  The first photo on the left shows how unhappy I was.  

But, going to my first Weight Watchers meeting in Palmerston North was what saved me.  That and the lifelong friends I made there, Sandra C, Chris D, Anne R, Michelle W, Lois, Janene and quite a few others.

Being there pretty quickly motivated me, and I  just worked really hard.

It took me 19 months to lose 61 kilos.

Then over the ensuing 20 years, life happened.  A few operations, forced inactivity, depression, three house moves, family drama and so on all contributed to gaining back 2/3rds of my lost weight.

I thank God I didn't gain it ALL back!


ABOVE:  I have kept this top for over 20 years.  I NEVER ever intend to 'fit' it again.



ABOVE:  Looking back... I feel like, what the fuck was I thinking?  HOW did I get so big?  

I'm not going to 'blame' anyone specifically, but there was a person in my life who ridiculed me every chance he got, sometimes in front of complete strangers. THAT did not help at all.

Belittling someone because of their weight is never a good or kind idea.  He thought he was using 'reverse psychology' on me!  Nope, sure didn't help.

His words ring out in my ears ALL THE TIME, even though he's been gone for 20+ years.

"Shit you're FAT. JESUS you're FAT.  How can you live like that?"

If you ever see someone who is overweight, PLEASE don't be unkind.  You don't know their story, or why they are overweight.  There are MANY, MANY reasons why a person is overweight.

We are not JUST FAT AND LAZY.

Hmmm... I think I needed to do this post, not just for me, but for anyone else who is on this never ending yo-yo battle with weight.

And... that's about it for the weight loss reminisce. Onward, it's another lovely day and I've got shit to do.

What shit?  I dunno.  Gimme time.


Once I'd finished me morning jobs, I decided to head out to Grandmothers Garden to get some Steam A Seam so I could start making a couple more Wonky House Runners.
Cos suddenly, I feel like sewing again.


ABOVE:  So check their website to make sure I don't get there too early, then off I go.  It's about a 15 minute drive out to Gordonton, so not too far.
I get there to see this on their gate:

ABOVE:  Closed.  Like wtf?  So I rang them and left them a very polite, but TO THE POINT message.  Just asking that they update their website and phone answering message to reflect the NEW opening hours.  I was not impressed.

After that I came back into town and picked up a repeat prescription from The Base and a couple of other bits 'n' bobs from Warehouse Stationary.

Now I'm home and about to work on a project in the sewing room.

AND we have 'rain'.... well heavy drizzle.  The temperatures are so nice right now, not hot at all.  This has been the best summer in years, not stinking hot and sticky.

Now, in reply to ANON'S comment today:

I was 44 when I embarked on losing 61 kilos.
I am now 64 and working on it again, but not with any intention of getting down to 67 kilos again.
I just want to feel healthier, and somewhere in the 80's will do it for me.

As for YOU ANON ....  YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD to decide to lose weight and be healthier!
I'm not going to say 'If I can do it so can you', because we are all different.

But you ARE NOT TOO BLOODY OLD!!!  
And if you really want something badly enough, and it's totally in YOUR HANDS to do something about it.... you will do it.

JUST AS I AM in my 60's.

4.55 pm:  I've been fluffing around in me sewing room all afternoon.  Haven't got much done, but did find one of the dresses I bought 2 years ago, that I'd cut shorter but never actually hemmed.
So I did that and I'm very happy with the dress now.  

I'll show you tomorrow, there's enough photos on this post already.

I've not given much thought to dinner yet, so I better pull me finger out and get that done.  Stew will be home in an hour and he'll want dinner.

11.10 pm:  I'm a bit late signing off tonight.  It's been a nice evening, just watching the telly, doing some work on my laptop, and so on.
Catch ya tomorrow.

19 comments:

  1. Your weight history is very realistic and inspiring. I love that you have so many photos complete with the year. I have no such photo history. In the picture where you are pointing (wearing the big shirt) you look cute as a button. I also joined weight watchers around the same time and lost a ton of weight. I think I was eating 1200 calories a day and pretty much starving. So my weight loss was not sustainable either. It is terrible that someone treated you that way. Mean people suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you've come such a long way and are winning this damn battle!!! Almost could have been my story. 128 was around my top weight but I don't think I ever neared 67. It's taken me 67 years to finally find a weight I can sustain and enjoy life. 3 years down the road, at 70, I'm feeling the fittest and healthiest ever but still got a few kilos to go.
    Must get my photos together. You are just amazing, beautiful at any weight! Geez putting those photos up along with your story make you my heroine!! You're doing so well.. Your strength to continue and be so positive is an example to us all, especially me.
    Just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing and inspiring ✨️ Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:49 AM

    Wow, what a journey you have been on. You are certainly getting "there" and s/b commended for all of your hard work. So bravo Chris, keep up the good work and you will be back to where you want to be. Congratulations!! Ky Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:59 AM

    Do you mind me asking your age when you started losing weight in 2003? I am in my 40s and have alot of weight to lose and feel like I am too old to start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reply is on the blog today.

      Delete
  6. I took a walk down memory lane with you Chris. Your blog and your weight loss journey was inspiring and realistic and helped me along with mine in 2005 to 2007.
    Now here I am following you still and at nearly 67 trying to lose regained weight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo of you this year with the large top, a great inspiration and also proof of how tiny you are now compared to then. Well done on your weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Very cruel to comment on someone’s weight and frankly it is none of their business. You are doing great. Hugs and love Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:04 PM

    You are a real inspiration. I too have never given up but still heavier than I’ld like to be

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post Chris! I love that your goal is a realistic one and that you will achieve it. I know that you will because you are doing the right thing and have the right attitude. I'm so excited for you going forward, in all aspects, not just weight loss :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris...way off topic, but can you still buy tinned black Doris plums in NZ. Friends are going in February and I have asked them to bring some back but I just looked on Watties website and they don’t advertise them. I love them but can’t get them in Australia. Marie, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can. I just looked up Countdown and they come in cans or glass bottles!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:15 PM

      Thanks so much Lynda. You’d think they’d grow them in Australia but nah. Love them. Marie

      Delete
  12. You’re a strong woman, what a great inspiring post.
    You are continuing to improve your future that’s all that matters x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come on girls, you can do it just like Chris. Get healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh Chris I cant believe that was 20yrs ago when we were all there at WW .Just like you I never maintained my weight slowly it went back on and I found the older you get the harder it is to keep motivated, im more focused now on just staying healthy and keeping fit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Chris you have come such a long way. Great achievement

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got this Chris!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.