Friday, April 08, 2022

HELLO FRESH?

 Yesterday Colleen B suggested I try HELLO FRESH as a way to get over the tedium of cooking every day.

First up, I'd still be cooking right?

Hello Fresh just takes away the 'What shall I cook tonight' aspect right?

Second.  It's more expensive. It's gotta be! Someone else has to be making money to offer such a service.  Nothing is for free, or the same price as if you'd done the shopping for ingredients yourself. 

ABOVE:  Fresh off the press... a comparison of 'regular' food prices across 8 countries.  We pay the most out of all of them.

New Zealand is the 5th most expensive place to live when it comes to groceries.  I'm always going to try and make savings where I can.  Though to be honest, we can still afford TASTY CHEESE!

It's a crazy, crazy price now days @ $18 a 1 kilo block.  

So where was I going with this?  

Oh yeah!   I won't be getting HELLO FRESH.


I should just sit my arse down and write a weekly or even fortnightly menu plan.  And stick to it.

Far out, I used to do that years and years ago.

Shall I do it again?  Hmmmm.

Today I might continue to build those wooden surrounds for out the front of the house.

Might as well... I don't have much else going on right now.

Me nails are a diabolical mess, so I might do them later too.


ABOVE:  LOOK.... grass! 

Keep watching... catch ya later.


Ha ha ha!  As per usual, I procrastinated.... and have not been working on the wooden surrounds!

I went out.

First off, I went to Harvey Norman's and picked up my repaired Printer.  Fingers crossed it goes properly now.

Then I went to Mitre 10 to buy a new pot:

ABOVE:  It's for an indoor plant that's gotten too big for it's current pot.  The new pot is rather neat, it sits perfectly on top of it's deep saucer.

After that I picked up Bex.
She had seen a rather lovely glass jar at a Hospice shop in Frankton, but didn't think to buy it!
So I dragged her back there to find it.

And well, me being me, I bought slightly more than just that jar:

ABOVE: I got those 5, plus...

ABOVE: This one that Bex saw but didn't get.  Lucky it was still in the shop!  It's beautiful.

Best of all?  ALL of them were dead cheap!  

On our way home, we passed some strange looking construction going on near the Rugby grounds:

ABOVE:  Bex took the photos, cos I was driving.
It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

We stopped in at the Hot Bread Shop on our way home ... 

ABOVE: Steve is working from home today, so we bought him some lunch.  I stayed for lunch too.
Nice to hang out somewhere else for a change.

Now though, after this update, I'm going to do nothing for a while.
I've had a busy morning.

Sorry COLLEEN for upsetting you, I certainly did not mean to.  

ABOVE:  One colourMulti ColoursWhat say you?

8.30 pm:  Well tonight Stew and I had chicken rissoles, potato and a lovely lettuce salad with boiled egg and beetroot.  Very yummy.

Now... watching the telly till bedtime.
Catch ya tomorrow.

28 comments:

  1. My son and his girlfriend used Hello Fresh for a while when they moved in to their new house. I think it was a great way to "teach" them to cook. The meals were "fun" to make mostly due to this giant color worksheet that walks you through it step by step. So, it was fun for a few months as they learned to cook. But now they have stopped and just shop like the rest of us. I never have a plan and generally just wing it. Impressive grass. Perhaps I will throw some on the ground and see what happens. I have quite a few bald spots in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember someone suggesting Hello Fresh to my husband and me at a party here in the UK. She was young, single and clearly having a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:35 AM

    I get ready made meals to heat up because I'm on my own and I hate cooking. It's also got so expensive to buy meat for one now. Crazy. I spread 8 meals $99 over 2 weeks and the other nights have a toasted sandwich or salad or something. For 2 people it's too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shows higher prices than most of what I pay in the US but I shop at the cheaper store too. I've done Hello Fresh several times. They usually have some kind of promotion going on to get some free meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually do a big cooking session on a Sunday which does enough for lunches and meals until Wednesday. Thursday and Friday are easy toasted sandwiches or similar. WFH helps as I can pop to the kitchen and do a bit of prep if I HAVE to. Going to visit some puppies this morning hopefully my brother will take one as his 14 year old foxy died in February 💙💙 TGIF!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get Hello Fresh some weeks & menu plan the other weeks. HF is good but I find a little sanely for every week. It is a bit more expensive but it is convenient. Menu planning is great because you stop just cooking the same few things each week - except bloody sticky kickin chicken which the boarder asks for every time 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about Hello Fresh....if I still have to prep it and cook it why bother.
    Your grass is looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When cheese first starting rising in price (years ago now!), hubby and I decided we would keep buying Tasty Cheese. We figured that a) it was the cheese we like the best, and b) because it had flavour we didn't have to use as much, therefore its cost was probably no more than using heaps of tasteless cheese! How was that for logic?
    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly logical, and exactly what we thought too. 😊

      Delete
  9. I need a inhouse chef to cook for me not someone just giving me the food raw what use is that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Fresh does have cheap offers at times. You can get referred by a friend when they get the discount introductory offers for other and if you don’t order for a while they offer a discount to entice you back. I have never purchased it but my daughter has a couple of times and waits for a big discount to order.
    She has also tried a much cheaper version that she was happy with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every plate is the cheaper version. 3 meals for 4 people for $50. So for 12 meals that’s not bad for those that choose easy meals

      Delete
  11. Interesting chart. Are all the prices converted to New Zealand money? I will do one for Canada the next time I am in the store. I know our prices are high.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know Hello Fresh is great to learn new recipes but I dislike all the packaging you get every week. Boxes and containers and packing etc. I am also dreadful at following recipe instructions so it would frustrate the heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gee I feel a little bit panned for suggesting Hello Fresh. I was just thinking that you didn't have to shop for ingredients, and that they had different things that you wouldn't normally think of, and they did the shopping for you. The other alternative is to find someone who does things similar to Lite & Easy or Youfoods, where they are prepacked and you just heat them up. I dunno. Just trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG so SORRY Colleen! I never for one moment meant to offend you ... your suggestion just gave me something to blog about! I am running low on ideas and talking about Hello Fresh was neat blog fodder. Please forgive me for upsetting you.

      Delete
    2. Colleen, we use Hello Fresh off and on in Melbourne. I know heaps of people that love it both here and in NZ. It seems price comparable here and there is lots of choice and no waste! I use it when I need an infusion of ideas, or when I am run down and need motivation to cook. It's a great idea for helping remove the mental load every day. I love cooking but sometimes my head is too full to think it through a d it is better than constant toasted sandwiches or takeaways! The recipes always work well too.

      Delete
    3. All good, Chris. I knew you weren't being mean. Just felt like a lot of peeps were panning the suggestion :)

      Delete
  14. Leeann1:37 PM

    I had a free week of hello fresh given to me and found it ok. I didn't order for a couple of weeks and then they offer you $$$ off and is more affordable.
    A friends young son said they did all the home food places HF one week then my food bag and I don't know the others. By the time you go back to the first one they are offering big discounts to get you back, and so they have never paid full price for a box.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:41 PM

    Have you heard of fingernail polish that changes colors based by your mood? I just did today. Weird and cool at the same time. Ky Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine would probably be RED all the time! Never heard of it. I've heard of colour change polish that reacts to heat/cold though.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:29 AM

      I'll double check my source, maybe she said heat/cold made the polish change colors vs mood.
      Either way, that's cool. ;-) Happy day to you!! Ky Girl

      Delete
  16. I am slightly obsessed with menu planning: I do it every week. Although it's getting harder as all 4 of us seem to have different food preferences, sigh. But I used those meals/ingredients to plan my groceries which I mostly now order online. I started a fair while ago and I've found it great. And because we have a high weekly $$$$ shop, the delivery is usually only a dollar or two, so it's a no-brainer really, especially with Covid

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the last time I bought bread in Australia for $ 1.85 was about 1990, it’s closer to $ 5 a loaf now.
    I think a lovely soft pink for your nails with maybe just the ring finger in a pearly white, to set off your beautiful ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly we pay $4.80 a loaf at Bakers Delight

      Delete
  18. Anonymous6:05 PM

    That ring is stunning..is it the pink one you 'lost' for awhile. I agree a nice pink varnish would be lovely for awhile. Kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Karen. So very happy I got it back before it became impossible.

      Delete
  19. Have a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.