Tuesday, December 23, 2014

MEATLOAF, XMAS LUNCH THEN...

I'm on a mission this morning.
There is going to be some serious meatloaf baking done!
I want to make several meatloaves and then freeze them, ready to use in sandwiches on picnics etc over the next couple of weeks.

There is nothing like tasty meatloaf sandwiches on the beach... or just at home too.

I'm going to incorporate heaps of fresh veges and NO BREADCRUMBS.  I want them to be low carb so I can eat as much as I like (without the bread).  Starting the day after Christmas I am giving VLC a go... I need to shift some serious weight.

It's no longer a "I don't really give a shit" matter. My health is DREADFUL.  I've got no fitness what so ever and I feel bloody ikkkkk all the time.
It is SO HARD to have to start all over again, and especially when I feel so weighed down and heavy, lethargic and lacking in stamina.  I suppose it's back to baby steps, and just hang in there until I actually do start to feel better.

After making the meatloaves, I'm off to our Hospice Christmas Lunch.  Stew and the kids are doing their own thing while I'm out.

Right, I'm off to make a start on grating up a shit load of veges for the meatloaf, I'm using mince, sausage meat, potato, carrot, beetroot, silverbeet, broccoli, tomato, onion, spring onion, beef stock and eggs.  That should make a good, healthy meatloaf!

ONWARD...

HOW do you mix up almost 15 kilos !  of meatloaf?


 WHY... IN A BIG PINK BUCKET OF COURSE! lol


ABOVE:  All ready for the oven.  It's going to take a little while to get them all cooked!  I had to resort to using cake tins cos I ran out of baking dishes.  Whatever works eh? 

I'm thrilled to get that lot ready.  It's going to mean so much less prep further down the track.

It is now 11 am and I'm still in my pyjamas, I didn't see the point in getting dressed just to get all grubby.  Off to get clean and tidy before heading out to the Christmas Lunch now.
First lot of meatloaves are in the oven...

Lunch was lovely, far too much food of course.  And  I got to cuddle Laurell:


ABOVE: Little Laurell (pronounced Lo-rell), he's now 3 months old and well.  Such a gorgeous age, all smiles and inquisitiveness. 
I stayed for about 2 hours, then came home.
It is so muggy and hot now!

Worse, our oven has been on for hours, and will be for about 5 more!  The meatloaf is smelling amazing though.

End of day:  a bloody HOT day.  Got the fan on full blast in the lounge, and it's not helping much.
I don't know how people live in places that are mega hot!
Off to bed soon, tomorrow is Christmas Eve.
nite nite

27 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Since it is your summer there try walking JUST 30 minutes a day for six days first thing in the morning at a slow pace outside and the most important hint stick with it. Walking will really make you feel so much better. Wish we had some warm weather here in Florida. Marianne from Orlando.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:07 AM

    Ooops, maybe I just posted half a comment? Anyway, go for it, Chris! One day, one meal, one walk, one moment at a time. You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll not say a word but if you ever need any help with VLC then please ask. It works, it really does and your blood sugars, reflux and everything else will thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out your recipies Lynda.

      Delete
  4. Good move! I'm with you on meatloaf, I love it. Dee-lishus hot or cold! And instead of bread for sandwiches, I use big lettuce leaves. A bit messy but so what. I have a good recipe for low carb ketchup if you would like me to email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be awesome Judith. You have my email adress I'm sure. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops ... spelling ... 'address'... slip of the finger.

      Delete
    2. Done. Tracy's right, that's a lot of meatloaf!

      Delete
  6. Man That is a lot of meatloaf. Good on you for being so organised. I think baby steps is definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm that meatloaf sounds nice, I love it. I have large lettuce leaves too as burger buns, or bread sometimes. Very organised you are hioe its not too hot up there with the oven in! All day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:02 PM

    Excellent work on the meat loaf!! I use Quinoa flakes instead of bread crumbs if I need something to bind in hamburgers/meatloaf etc :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where is my diet coke comment?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know Cranky! Did you post it as an ANON or under Not So Cranky?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine always disappear too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My comments always disappear off here too if they go past about one line long... no idea why. I have to type them elsewhere and cut and paste!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, I love that meatloaf operation, you really know how to cook for the masses! :)

    Good luck with the VLC, I'd be interested to hear how you find it and any good recipes you come across.

    I regained about 40 kilos over 18 months while my mum was sick and after she passed away. It was just awful. I've got about 25 kilos off since May (low carb and exercise), but I still have a bit to get off so that I feel more comfortable. It's bloody hard work and I admire that you keep working at it. I hope 2015 is your year of good health.

    Clarissa (Tully).

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you re low carb. Ditch the diet coke too. You will feel so much better without all those chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't fancy dying from dehydration, so don't think I'll try that any time soon!

      Delete
  15. Have you ever tried using your hooded bbq as an oven ? You will need something to keep them up off the hot plate so the bases don't burn but it may be worth trying one day so you don't have to heat up the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried that! Might be worth a go... we have done rotisserie chickens under the hood and they came out AMAZING!

      Delete
  16. Anonymous2:23 AM

    Sweetie, I do live in a mega hot country!! Greece doesn't get any hotter, but what can you do? Grin and bear it!!
    Can you tell me how you make your meatloaf and what do you serve it with? We don't have that dish here and I was wondering what it is and how it is served!
    Merry Christmas from Athens, Greece (Rita)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a small meatloaf:
      1 kg minced beef, 500 grams sausage meat, 1-2 large potatoes, 1 large carrot, 1 large head of broccoli, 2-3 tomatoes, 1-3 large onions, few leaves of silverbeet or spinach, and any other vegetables you want ... all grated up, add 4 beaten eggs, 1 cup breadcrumbs,2 teaspoons beef stock, herbs like basil and oregano (1/2 teaspoon of each), mix all together, bake in a hot oven for about an hour, or until cooked. This is a very loose recipe, it depends on how much of everything you want in there!

      Delete
    2. We have it with mashed potato and veges, but you can have it with a pasta side dish too, or rice... or on bread. Super yummy.

      Delete
  17. Best wishes to you and the family. Have lots of fun in the sun. All the best for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love meatloaf, and it's fun to make. Not sure it would stick together without the breadcrumbs though. 15 KILOS! Dang!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd probably eat it like 3 times and then it would just sit there. That's a lot of meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.