Sunday, December 24, 2023

CHRISTMAS EVE ... DAY

 Ok, the day before Christmas.

Not a lot going on right now.

We are expecting Steve, Bex, the boys and a few others for lunch.

A lower key lunch compared to  what's on tomorrow.

I'm just making sausage rolls, cocktail sausages and a small sweet platter.

Should be good though.

Until lunch, I'm going to just potter around the house, making sure everything is honky dory.


ABOVE:  I don't put lights outside the house, but I hope my entrance looks welcoming.

ABOVE:  I moved the bigger Christmas Tree into the family room... cos it wasn't getting any love in the sunroom.

Lunch is half ready.  I just have to do the hot foods in the last half an hour.

Stew and I are sitting here, twiddling our thumbs!
That's what happens when you are too organised!

I hope everyone else is ready and looking forward to a lovely, happy and safe few days with friends and family. 

And we just had a really lovely lunch... I ate some rubbish. But I did not overdo it. 
Proud about that.

Stew and I will be walking it off this evening.

ABOVE:  Seems I'm a 'Gangster Granny'!  lol

Last night I put two of my 'bigger' dresses for sale on Marketplace and another Facebook site.
I sold the first one right away, monies paid into my account no problem at all. (direct debit)

The second one?
A person said she wanted it, and would transfer the money via WESTERN UNION.
Then she told me I had to click on the link to get the money.  I checked it out.

It asked me to provide all my bank details, including my access number AND password.

I was like:  'LIKE FUCK' am I giving anyone THOSE details!
So I cancelled the transaction/sale.

I wonder how many people have been scammed that way, not realising the risks they take?  

NEVER   EVER    EVER    EVER give anyone your bank access number and/or password!

LOSE THE 'SALE'.... not all ya money.


DAY 14 OF 15.... and I failed today, and had some carbs and sugary food.
And I am human.
I acknowledge my slip up (0ne day EARLY).
And I am going for a walk this evening in the rain... and dragging Stew along with me too.

The one thing that resounded with me after eating lunch today?  NONE of it was that tasty, or amazing, or satisfying.
NONE OF IT.  

So that is going to make it easier to restrict what I have tomorrow.  For sure. 

I will still partake of the 'Christmas Food', but like today, I will not have much.

ABOVE:  We decided to go for an early evening walk.... to a suburb a couple over from ours.
Harrowfield usually has lots of homes decorated in Christmas lights.  This year we felt there were less than last year.
But there were still a few worth seeing.
Because we were there early, before it got dark, some of the homes lights were not on.

ABOVE:  The Grinch house.

ABOVE:  Me being a Grinch too.
I do it well.

ABOVE:  Lovely Kiwis, sad they were not lit up.

Brylee and Dom have just done the drive through Harrowfield, they just missed us. lol
They are on their way over here to visit us now.  Awwww nice.

11.18 pm...

ABOVE:  And these two stayed for a really lovely long visit.  Lots of catching up as we hadn't seen them for a while.
Now... it's pretty much bedtime.
Don't want to still be up when Santa comes!
Catch ya tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. I'm sure everything will be honky Dory Chris...happy Christmas eve day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29 AM

    Merry Christmas to you all. I hope you have a wonderful day today and tomorrow. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally organised, currently chilling at the hairdresser eating food, drinking wine and chatting 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:29 PM

    Cute picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda5:54 PM

    You did not fail! You chose to enjoy the festival spirit, enjoying yourself and making memories. Be proud of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:12 PM

    Hope you all have a lovely and stress free Christmas.....well as stress free as Christmas can ever be!!! Tis 6am on Christmas Eve here, one kid already home...the other due later.....am getting up now as my head is twirling with 'things' I need to do :D
    Tracy, Cornwall, UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sale sounds like it was a scam. Good on you seeing it for wat it was. So many fall victim to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:49 PM

    Merry Christmas Chris and Stew. And best wishes for a successful year ahead. That photo of you is awesome. WOW.kj

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas Chris... Oh and I think that Western Union would have been enough alarm bells for me but good on you for not falling for that scam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:09 AM

    I have been actively cleaning out/decluttering since 2018.

    I started with a garage sale and I put the leftovers on Facebook Marketplace to see how it went. I am still using it regularly, still purposefully cleaning out.

    Some things over the years have been for higher dollar amounts, yesterday we sold a table for $35. But the majority of my sales have been $1-$5. If it is a high amount, we do evening or weekend pick up and my husband meets them in our driveway.

    I only take cash. I only do porch pick up. I have “canned” notes that I copy and paste which makes things easy. I am efficient and quick to respond.

    In 2020 and 2021, when everyone was home, it gave me something to do. At that time, here, there were no garage sales and all the resale shops were closed, porch pick up was very active, I sold a lot of stuff. I still sell items regularly. This week, even with Xmas, I have had at least one sale/pick up a day, including someone who is coming later this morning, on her way to church, Christmas Eve.

    If an item does not sell in a few weeks, I un-list it, and then I donate it. I have two resale shops where I donate. One does a very good job with clothes, the other has a sewing section, both take household items. I also have a used bookstore that buys books. I take my books there first, then list what they do not want in bundles for $1-$5. I have sold a lot of books.

    I do not let my “for sale” piles get too large. This is key. I never buy things to resell them. I am decluttering, not adding to my piles.

    I post things regularly, all my notes say “check out my other listed items”. Many people buy more than one thing. I have learned the best thing I can do to increase activity, on the items I already have listed, is keep listing new things regular. About 75 people “follow me” and get updates on my listings automatically. Most of those people are repeat customers who have bought a lot over the years.

    I have clear plastic bags in a very large size and a small size. I bag most of the items to keep them clean on the porch. I save and reuse packing materials for breakable items.

    If I have problems with someone, I block them so they cannot contact me in the future over other items. The majority of people are very nice. The problem people have been irritating, but not dangerous nor scammers. I only use messenger thru Facebook. I do not give anyone my phone number. I only take cash.

    Once a month, on a Friday, I put all our cardboard boxes on the porch, take a picture and list the (big) pile for $1. I take the shipping labels all off first. Usually someone picks up the boxes in 1-4 hours. This is usually someone moving. It saves us having to break all those boxes down for recycling. I am always very glad someone can reuse them.

    My active cleaning out is so our kids do not have a mess in the future. I ask the kids about anything they might want before selling it. Sometimes I also ask my neighbors. An example is our elliptical. We gifted it to a neighbor who wanted it, and he and his boys moved it, so a stranger did not have to come into our house to get it.

    I make very little money on most items, but collectively I have made a lot of money over the years.

    Mostly Facebook Marketplace has been a motivational tool for me. I like putting things directly in the hands of people who need something, for a very reasonable price. I like the process. I am good at it.

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.