Thursday, December 21, 2023

BIT OF A RE-THINK

 I'm having to re-think my new 'Challenge' a bit.

For the past 10 days I've had virtually NO CARBS, except what is found in lettuce, cucumber and carrot.   And I've not actually had much of that either.

As a consequence, I've had no energy at all.

I'm quite sure that's what's causing me to have 'wobbly' episodes. 

Low blood sugars.  Something (well, my body), is telling me to stop being an idiot.

So, now my Challenge looks like this:

ABOVE:  I'm adding in some more carbs.  Like a baked potato, or two slices of bread for a sandwich, or a wrap.  I hope by doing that, I no longer have the 'wobbles'.

Today is not a walk day, so I should be good. I'll have a baked potato with some meat and a side salad for my lunch (main meal).

Hopefully by tomorrow morning, when I have another walk, things will have rectified themselves.

TODAY IS DAY 11 OF 15.

Today's plan of action:  Sew runners.  I didn't finish any yesterday.  I felt really blah in the afternoon, so was a lazy tart.

It was enjoyable watching Lacy slave away in her yard, making a new garden yesterday.

ABOVE:  She's certainly making this place her own.  I'm very impressed.   It won't be too long before there's a few plants growing up and covering that unsightly water tank a bit.

She was going to put her new Olive Tree over by the water tank, but I told her it wasn't a wise move, considering there are water pipes there.  

So it went over on the other side of the little glass house.

And that's me for now, catch ya later.


I did some shopping.

ABOVE: These towels were heavily reduced in price, and because they are just the most gorgeous towels, so big and fluffy... I got me one.
Any guesses which one I got?

I got a good sleep last night, which really surprised me as I went to bed really upset.

Nothing I can/will talk about on here for now, maybe one day.  But not today.

I'm learning that you just have to accept and move on, because sometimes there is simply NOTHING else you can do.

Back in 2020, I WON the biggest battle, by thwarting others 'plans', and I got to be with my Mum, and hold her in my arms as she took her last breaths.  I am forever thankful for that.  YOU FUCKERS can't take that from me.

WHOOPS.   Let my feelings slip a bit.  Oh well... shit happens.

Housework and runners await.  Off I go.

Lacy called in to borrow some garden implements.  As she was here when the washing machine stopped, she offered to hang out my washing.
Next thing... she's going 'Eeeew, HOW RANK!"

ABOVE:  I'm like WHAT?  Seems she doesn't like the look of me pegs.
So what did she do?

ABOVE:  She went out and bought me a whole bunch of new ones!
Then she hung out the washing.

Thanks Lacy. 

ABOVE:  Meanwhile, I've made two runner tops.
It's been 'fun' working out how to get them just the right size, and still have the pattern correct.
The one on the right is #1's size worked out.
Now to work on the 2nd runner.
I'm not a fan of orders where a very specific size is required.  Messes with me brain.

I had some Greek Yoghurt and peaches for breakfast, followed up with some meat and a potato for my lunch just now.  
And I'm so happy to report ... NO WOBBLES TODAY.
No feeling sick, no light headedness, no ears ringing.  Gosh it feels so good to be feeling 'normal' again.
This evening I will just have a very light snack, maybe just a lettuce salad.
Hopefully this does the trick.

ABOVE: The skies reflection on the pool water... which I was in this afternoon.
It was sooooooo good!   It cooled me down beautifully, and even though I'm now out of the pool, I still feel refreshed.
I'm summer ready.
AND, it was so much easier to get in and out of the pool, those lost kilos make such a difference.

Still feeling AWESOME today, not ill at all.

9.52 pm:  I ended up joining Stew at the pub this evening.  It was very busy there for a change.  Lots of noisy, inebriated blokes!
Home now, and enjoying Coronation Street before bedtime.
Catch ya tomorrow.

18 comments:

  1. Why is there a water tank? Do you have a water tank? Does each unit? How does it get water in it? I have not seen one before. I have only seen a giant barrel under the roof to catch rainwater. But not in a brand new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we do not have a water tank. Any new STATE HOUSES seemingly have to have one now. No idea why? It takes water from the roof I think, and stores it in case it's needed? Damned if I know.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:21 AM

      We had tank water for years. Can water lawns,gardens, wash windows, really helps in a dry summer. You can buy a small tank for garden use only. I still conserve

      Anne palmy

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:22 AM

      We had tank water for years. Can water lawns,gardens, wash windows, really helps in a dry summer. You can buy a small tank for garden use only. I still conserve

      Anne palmy

      Delete
  2. I bet clever Steve could put up a lovely trellis to hide that water tank :) Good idea to add a little carb - do you check your blood sugars or just wing it? Have you started your medication again? (you said you'd stopped it awhile ago). I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and let all the other cares and worries go :) Hey, new baby in the family soon, I know that will be a happy time for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am on my medication. No I do not check my blood sugars at all. Yes, the new baby will be a huge blessing and bring joy to us.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:49 AM

    HI Chris. My best diet tip for you is to talk to your doctor or dietician about a proper, diabetic-focused meal plan. Otherwise these other diets could be doing damage. Maybe you could also do some google research on best eating plans. I am supposed to portion orient after my surgery but I have a wicked sweet tooth so I'm failing miserably! Dieting sucks! Much love xx Colleen. PS Merry Christmas !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your old pegs, just like min, but I have never seen them since

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad as a diabetic gor told a small baked potato or Kumara at night time as low GI
    Whole meal bread? Has longer GI YES PROB dietician or nutritionist hospital wise Hamilton have a very good diabetic clinic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it might be time to enquire about a referral for some 'proper' advice.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:11 PM

    I think it is the best idea to see your doctor and a dietician, the dizzy spells, lightheadedness and fatigue are red flags. I don’t want to worry you but a man who has diabetes and ignored the warning signs had an episode and lost control of his car and killed 5 people and injured many others here in Victoria Australia. Look after yourself Chris, congratulations on your weight loss too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:12 PM

      Last comment anonymous is me Maggie from Aus.

      Delete
  7. Glad your weight loss is making you feel healthier and fitter! That's so important! The pool photo is lovely. It would make lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:43 PM

    I wanted to add a word about the world of dietitians and being diabetic.

    First, I am not diabetic. But I have worked with dietitians a couple times to sort out other issues. And we discussed the reality of the people they often see/treat.

    If you are a type two diabetic who is trying to reduce their weight and numbers, trying to improve their diabetes or maybe even eliminate their diabetes, make sure you explain that very clearly.

    I think you are that type of diabetic, I think you are trying to greatly improve your weight and your diabetes.

    Not everyone is. And the dietitians are used to working with people who just accept being a type two as inevitable and just live with it. They eat what they want and depend on their meds.

    I cannot speak for dietitians in NZ of course, but in USA they find type twos who are barely trying to manage their diabetes. They work with a lot of patients who absolutely will not do what it takes to improve their diabetes.

    So dietitians have learned to talk to those diabetics sort of their terms, with “okay” being the goal.

    If your goal is “very good” or even “great”, you need to communicate that. You need to explain about your challenges. You need to explain about your exercise. You need to talk about all your numbers and how much you have improved them.

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:11 AM

    I wanted to add a word about water.

    I think you have what is termed a food aversion to water.

    I am about your exact age and I had this too. So did my mother-in-law. I got over mine. My MIL never did, she accepted it as a personality trait. She thought there was something about her that just made water an impossibility.

    I think what happened to many of our generation and slightly older is that households were stocked with kool-aid and soda/pop and juice and chocolate milk as we were growing up.

    Our taste buds got used to everything we drank being sort of a party for our taste buds. We got conditioned to the taste of sugar. (I think this also translates to food and weight issues.)

    My daughter works with kids with autism and encounters this a lot with those children. Theirs can be extreme, where they will only eat one or two things (ever). Water aversions come up with them often.

    She works to expand what they will eat and also to get them to drink water.

    To treat these kids, they add non sugared flavor to water. They decrease the additives, slowly over time, until they get the all the way back to plain water.

    There are also counter top carbonation machines available. They add bubbles to regular water.

    I think, perhaps, it would be helpful to consider this possibility. I mention this because a dietician might have ideas.

    There are a lot of health risks in drinking nothing but diet soda.

    Instead of thinking “I hate water, it is just a fact”, maybe consider “I have a long standing aversion to water that maybe can be corrected”.

    For myself, I have to stay away from anything that tastes like a party. I do better if I just abstain. I can’t do one a day, one turns into four. Trying for one a week, turns into one a day, which then turns into four a day.

    Ditto flavored hot drinks, I cannot moderate.

    I drink about 1/3 cup of real orange juice when I take my meds in the morning, and other than that I drink plain water. I drink hot water. And yes, it now tastes good to me.

    In my 20’s I had a weekly store run to buy cases of Tab which was my version of your Diet Coke. I never drank water.

    So I get it.

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:25 AM

      I should add - what changed me?

      I eventually switched to diet pop/soda. I was buying weekly cases of it. I drank no water.

      Very very bad headaches, major GI issues, high weight, torso fat.

      I was in the midst of all kinds of gastrointestinal tests/treatment and a doctor had a long talk with me.

      I just stopped, cold turkey. It was very much like a smoker who just stops and accepts they cannot have even one.

      Vickie

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:47 AM

      ^this!!! Great point about drinking water Vickie. Diet coke is sweetened with aspartame!! -"Dozens of studies have linked the popular artificial sweetener aspartame to serious health problems, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's disease, seizures, stroke and dementia, as well as negative effects such as intestinal dysbiosis, mood disorders, headaches and migraines".

      Delete
  10. Anonymous7:50 PM

    You are so lucky to have dear Lacy. Merry Christmas to you and your family Chris. Trish in Oz.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.