Thursday, July 15, 2021

FLOORING CHOICES

 Who asked me what I was planning for the kitchen floor yesterday?

Hmmm.... well anyway, the answer is, I'm not 100% sure yet.

I've got two or three options on the table.

1.  Traditional marble tiles

2.  'Stick down' tiles (like we put in our Auckland kitchen)

3. Vinyl Wood Planks

I'm leaning towards Vinyl Wood Planks, after doing a bit of homework on them.

ABOVE:  An example of wood planks.  If I go with a carpet in brownish tones, it would work.

I wish there wasn't quite so much choice! 

As for the bathrooms, again, I'm totally undecided.  I think it will be easier to make final choices on the flooring, once the walls are painted.

Now as for my plans for today. I'm going out to get a few cardboard boxes, so I can pack up all my blue glass in the kitchen and other knick nacks.

That way they are out of the way once we start the painting and ripping up the carpet.

DUST is going to be a huge issue, and one I want to be on top of before we even start.

Ripping up old carpet is, I'm told, a horrendously dusty exercise.  Anyone know just how bad it can be?

DUCKS.... still getting them in a row. 😃😉😊

Catch ya later....


10.30 am:  And I've been out and got me boxes.  I only got 3, I hope that's enough.  It's not like I have to pack up the entire house!

I was gunna go for a little walk, but I've not got the energy today.  Just getting all the blue glass down and packing it up is all I'm up for right now.

3.10 pm:  I had a nap.  It was 2.5 hours long!  
I have done NOTHING else today.
I am sitting looking at the blue glass, wondering if I have the energy to get it all down and pack it up?
No rush is there?

I miss my helper.

ABOVE:  I decided it wasn't getting done with me sitting on me bum... so I got the ladder out and did it.

ABOVE:  two and a half boxes ready to go in the garage.  I'll fill up the 3rd one from other rooms I'm sure.

Now... time to sort out dinner.  Lamb rissoles, mashed potato and salad.

Dinner was so yum!  First time in nearly two weeks I've had a decent dinner, that's stayed down!  😂😅😊

It's cooling down and I've just got me blankie out.  Gunna be a cold morning tomorrow.
Catch ya then.

17 comments:

  1. Before pulling up that carpet, be sure to cover up any electronics, such as the tv, dvd player, outlets, etc. They have air vents in them that dust can play havoc with. Or sawdust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's done right it really isn't that dusty at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:59 AM

      |Agree, Steve, Harrisons were great with our old carpet which had been down years longer than your Mum's. The tradies were excellent, really efficient and tidy. Moving the furniture wasn't part of the job but they did it for us because they said they would do it for their parents. They even brought two new bathroom vanities out of the garage after they had laid the vinyl. Would recommend Harrisons Rotorua any time. Audrey

      Delete
  3. The carpet won't be too bad. We've had two places re-carpeted from very old carpet and they clean up the mess when they rip it up. I love the wood plank look and it goes with anything. The trouble with tiles (like I have) is everything breaks that drops on them and they also chip. Not sure about marble look tiles etc. There are lovely tiles available these days for bathrooms and they are very practical, just don't get a really light colour that shows all the fluff like I have (mine a white... grrrr...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily, really ANY color will go with the wood plank vinyl - I like the look of that vinyl too :)
    Dawn P. Albany, GA USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love vinyl planking. I have almost black tiles in the bathrooms which was a mistake. Carpet firm will Uplift carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lino in our bathroom that looks amazingly like tiles. Lots around nowadays... 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  7. This place has would planks all thru included in bathroom justvwet grade i like them thought would be noisy but they arent and easy to clean...just no steam mop. Bugger about boxes im going to tip soon with a mountain of boxes i listed them for removal boxes but nobody replied this time have managed to upcycle others...you would think all these empty boxes id be getting near the end...thank god i declutter before i moved 😆 clearly not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Would you consider putting vinyl planks everywhere, other than the bathrooms(s)? It may be more costly and you might need to buy area rugs for some areas but it makes the house seem so spacious to have one floor throughout. I have vinyl plank in my house and it is so easy to clean.

    I agree with another commenter who mentioned that tile is very unforgiving if anything is dropped, and the tiles themselves can chip as well.

    Good to hear you're feeling a bit better.

    A Fan in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  9. so weird!!! Reading this I remembered I had a dream about packing boxes last night!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twas me that asked about kitchen flooring. I love the vinyl planks. As others have said with tiles as soon as something leaves your hands you reach for the dustpan and brush!
    You clean your house so often I doubt you will have the dust issues others may have. Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Hi I like the vinyl planks, my brother put them through the whole house looks great with rugs. I have wooden floorboards through the whole house, so much easier to clean than carpet, especially with pets. I also like it that I can change the rugs to get different looks.

    Peta

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum im on my way for tea c u in a wiggle of my nose Samantha style

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone I know who has the vinyl wood floors are happy with them. They look good and are dog friendly. They come in lots of colors - you could probably find a white wash color if you are not keen on the "brown and beige" look. Although they all look good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the wood planks, the new ones are really easy to keep clean and always look so nice.
    Glad you sound as if you are feeling a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My carpet in my room was disgusting but it was also 20 years old and we have had a lot of naughty animals.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.