Monday, July 12, 2021

UP AND AT 'EM

 I'm getting up early, and heading straight to the Dr's.   If I'm lucky there won't be too long of a wait!

As a 'walk in', you take the chance of having to sit and wait 1 - 2 even 3 hours or longer!

But I figure if I get there bang on 8 am, when they open, I won't have to wait long?

I'm not really convinced they can give me anything for the cough from hell, but I can try.  I usually take Gees Linctus, but you can't buy it 'over the counter' anymore.  

This cough/vomit thing is something I've had many times before.  But it is the first time I've had it since we moved to the Waikato.

After I've been to the Dr's, I am going to buy some paint and a small section of plywood, to do my paint testing on.

Then I'm coming home to draw up some possible wall panel ideas, for the three areas in the house I am now going to be putting panels on.

Those areas have changed a bit since I first thought of this idea btw.  

So... if you don't hear from me till lunchtime ... I might have had a long wait at the doctors!


9.03 am:  And wow, I'm home already.
I got to the doctors at 7.30 and sat and waited till they opened at 8.


Once inside, I was seen within about 10 minutes.  It sure pays to get there early!

ABOVE:  So, I was given the Gees Linctus (YES!), a short course of steroids, an inhaler and pain killers.
Here's hoping all that helps!

I had a very frightening experience at 4 am this morning!  I was coughing and coughing ... about to throw up when my throat went into spasm, and I couldn't breath at all! I panicked a bit... leapt out of bed and luckily, that stopped the spasms.  I think that's why the Dr has given me the steroids and inhaler, so that doesn't happen again.
It has never, ever happened before and I don't want it to ever again.  It was scary!

Because I feel like utter shit (no sleep), I decided to come straight home from the Drs.  I'm heading off to bed.

2.50 pm:  Well that was wonderful.  I got a full 2 hours sleep.  Gees Linctus is magic shit.  No, it does not have codeine in it as far as I can tell.  It does however, have morphine!  Hence why you have to get it via your doctor.

Once up, I decided to do a small grocery grab...

ABOVE:  It didn't take long.  I wore my mask, and several people heard me coughing, looked at me then smiled.  I think they appreciated the mask on my face.

Now that I'm home, I'm gunna just relax till I have to make a salad.  We are having some seafood with the salad, and potato gems.

Dinner was lovely! But, I could only eat about 1/4 of what was on my plate.  I just don't have much of an appetite right now.
Best thing though, the cough is so much better!
I am still coughing, but it is nowhere near as bad, and I've not vomited since early this morning.   
I reckon I'm gunna have a good night's sleep, FINALLY!

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with that cough!
    You definitely need some sort of medicine. Hope the wait is short

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how frightening that coughing can be...glad you got done doc and drugs to help sooth ya lungs and throat.
    Rest (in peace) isnt appreciate but same i do hope you get a peaceful rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's scary for sure. Rest up, take the pills and you'll be well before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! I am so glad that jumping out of bed resolved the issue. You need to rest. And maybe answer this trivia question that just stumped me. There was an image shown and you had to guess the "4 word Australian term" that the image described. The image was a Barbie doll with a Shrimp draped over her head. What is the 4 word Australian term that the image describes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya got a shrimp on the Barbie.... cooking shrimp on a BBQ!

      Delete
    2. That is correct! I was stumped. But, in hindsight it makes perfect sense!

      Delete
    3. But Aussies call it prawn on the barbie

      Delete
  5. So glad you went to the doctor. No surprise at all with the medication prescribed. You will feel much better in no time. Rest up and look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does Gees linctus have codeine in it? That will certainly help with the coughing.
    Rest up and get well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is also something called Rikodeine which contains codeine and works well, but is also pharmacy prescription only in Australia. Glad you got armed with things to try and you finally got some sleep! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, I'd never leave my handbag in the trolley! Too tempting for someone to do a bag grab. There have been cases here last week of people blocking cars as they try to leave shopping centres and then someone opens the passenger door and grabs their bag! I'm glad you are feeling better and have all the good drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kiwionholidays10:43 PM

    Sleep tite 👍🦋Tomorrow will be so much better ,
    Cheers 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am down to a tiny cross body “purse” that holds my phone, drivers license, a couple credit cards, and a few $20’s tucked in for an emergency. I put it on when I leave the house and do not take it off, very very freeing and super easy on my shoulders and back. Also much safer. It is small enough that I can wear it under a jacket or sweater. This changed my life.

    I have a few things I leave in the car in the compartment between the seats. I have a tiny bag in there with bandaids, tissues, nail file, etc. and another tiny bag with tape, scissors, paper/pen, etc. Of I am going out of town for the day and need extra things, I pack a small bag and leave it in the car.

    I have wondered this before - Is it possible you have asthma? Some people wheeze with asthma, many people, me included, cough. You’ve stirred up a lot in your house recently (which would set me off to the major attack you just had).

    A huge asthma attack can look exactly like an illness and it can last for a long time. (I think I remember this happening to you previously). A big clue - is anyone else sick?

    If I went to the ER most of the time, in the midst of an attack, they would think I was sick because I cough instead of wheeze. My whole childhood, I was treated for bronchitis. I am sure now that it was always asthma.

    I am on daily inhaler/med for asthma (preventive). I have a nebulizer and albuterol on hand just in case, but rarely need it because I am super careful to avoid dusty things like sweeping the garage or porch and lawn mowing. I wear a mask if I need to (like in the attic). We even keep our paper shredder in the garage. We keep the house closed and have a very good filter in the furnace/air conditioner, plus I have tower filters in the living room, my sewing room, our bedroom and the family room.

    I do not rewear clothes, when gardening or doing household things, I take a shower and change clothes when done. I do not wear my pj’s around the house, I put them on and get directly into bed.

    Here, USA, I see an asthma/allergist. Good year, I only see him once and he tests my breathing and checks me. Bad year, I see him a lot (my last major attack was 2018 lasted from July to November).

    He also supplies me with Epi-pens to keep on hand in case I stop breathing (like you just had happen) or get stung by something. I also have a major ointment from him for mosquito bites and poison ivy which both spread systemically on me.

    Diagnosis and prevention are key for me. I have no problems most of the time but I am very careful. If we were doing something something like stripping wallpaper and pulling up carpet, I would have to move out each time until it was done, a mask and the filters would not be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the meds are doing the trick. Codeine converts into morphine in the body so you are cutting out that step!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got something that helped!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh good, I hope you can have a nice proper sleep in! Glad the cough is getting better. I have not had as much as a sniffle in 1/5 years! I guess staying isolated and masking up in public really does something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did your parents smoke when you were growing up? Mine did, and in the house because they knew no better back then. Whenever I get a cough it lasts for months and I am sure it's because my lungs were compromised by my parents smoking. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.