Friday, July 02, 2021

LOVED IT

 I went to the first 'Knitter, Natter with a Platter' event last night in Cambridge.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!

There were around 16 of us ladies gathered around a table, knitting, yakking and having nibbles and desserts. I didn't have any food as I was literally still digesting my lunch!

There is another one next Wednesday night, and I'm going.




ABOVE:  A few happy snaps of our fun evening.

Now, back to today.  I'm going to the mall for a few bits 'n' bobs, though for the life of me I can't remember exactly WHAT it was I needed!  I'm sure I will remember soon. 😅😂

AND ... just like that I remembered.  Fancy scissors.  Ones that cut leaving a patterned edge.

I'm going to try making some paper hearts with acrylic paint effects.

WHY?

When I was in Australia my Mum spent the last few days of her life in Bellingen Palliative Care Hospital.  When she died, the nurse put a heart on her door:

ABOVE:  This was the heart on Mum's door.  It was a lovely gesture, and let anyone passing know that there was a family inside who had lost someone.

I want to make some hearts and send them to the hospital.  I hope they can use them.

So, that's me mission today.  Paint hearts.

And that's it from me for now.  Catch ya later.


Another gorgeous day!  Frosty to start with, but now?  Gorgeous.
I went to The Base to do a few things, and accomplished everything in my list.  Very happy about that.
Then I did a grocery shop, and unlike usual, I enjoyed it!  So much nicer at Countdown, though I do shop at Pak N Save too.  Depends what I'm looking for really.

Now I'm going to put the groceries away, have some lunch then do some hearts.

2 pm:  And I've just done three hearts.
Found out that putting paint on thick card is not necessarily going to work.
The wetness of the paint made the card bow significantly.  So, I'm thinking the paint will run off.  Grrrr.
But for what it's worth:

ABOVE: This is the first one.  Not too bad.  But not spectacular.

ABOVE:  The second one.  I like it, but as the paint is running off the edges, I don't hold out hope it will turn out good enough.

The third one?  A bloody disaster that got wiped off immediately!  Ya get that sometimes.

So, now I'm thinking of getting pre-cut hearts from Spotlight, that are wood.  Might even go get some right now.

5.25 pm:  I didn't go out this afternoon.  Thanks to a nasty tension headache hitting.  So, a quiet couple of hours just sitting still with me eyes closed.  NOT sleeping, much as I'd have liked that.

I just checked on those two hearts and to my delight they have flattened out, and not lost much paint off the sides at all.  Awesome!

I will still go and get some wooden hearts tomorrow I think.   I'm not sure about cutting my own from thin plywood, could prove tricky to get them 'perfect'. 

11.28 pm:  Bedtime!
AND... we just put our electric blanket on the bed, so I'm getting into a warm bed.  BLISS.
Catch ya tomorrow.

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea. One year, some of my family members were involved in an ice house explosion. (They are all fine now). But three of them spent a lot of time in ICU at the hospital. Which meant we spent a lot of time in that waiting room. Somebody sent up sandwiches from a local sandwich shop for the waiting room folks on New Years Eve. It was such a nice gesture we did the same thing the following year. Spending weeks in the hospital while your family is in the burn unit is a nightmare and a kind gesture in a time like that can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were was my invite last night. Lol they looked like my kind of people aswell. I love the hearts can't wait to see your ones. You could also ask if hospice do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have invited you Bex, IF you were an FBG'er!

      Delete
    2. Iv got the Hi Viz so that auto makes me alowed right....
      #Lacy 💙

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful gesture. I'm sure the hospital will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I belong to a group that meets every Friday at a local cafe. We bring our craft and chat and have lunch and coffee for a few hours. A wonderful way to pass an afternoon.
    I love the idea of the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My suggestion would be to paint the board then cut the hearts out when it dried....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic idea Chris 💙 you're always thinking of others love ya work 💙

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:02 PM

    Buy a sheet of thin mdf from bunnings and cut lots of hearts, drill a hole, put ribbon through it so they can hang them. You could even suggest this heart idea to local hospital's and keep them supplied

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:27 PM

    Hiya, such a lovely idea. They look incredible! Butterflies are used for infant bereavements too. The hearts will have to be laminated, due to infection control policy so string to hang up probably won’t work as someone has suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just going to suggest wood craft hearts. Or maybe foam core. Those are so nice - it would be nice to make them a bit more "permanent" You could even make fabric ones! Oh - dear. The possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about little quilted hearts made with scrap fabric? It's a lovely gesture

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds as though you had a fun time with your fellow knitters. Have a restful and warm weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of the hearts, however, think the wooden ones would be better, but would be more expensive to send.
    Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you do try to cut your own - you could always make "wonky hearts". They can be asymmetrical and "imperfect" - but store bought will be lovely too. And if you do make some with a hole/ribbon - they might be something to sell in your booth as a wall hanging or ornament. I think they will be lovely. Do the family members get to keep their door heart?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:57 AM

    What a lovely idea making the hearts - I am sure any hospice/hospital would appreciate the gesture. I think the quilted ones sound just up your street with all your experience making the runners/mug mats etc, I'm sure you'll come up with something fab from all your materials.
    Jane G

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hearts are so pretty, I'm sure you'll find a way for it to work out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.