Monday, April 19, 2021

DINNERWARE

 I mentioned yesterday afternoon that I had a story about 'dinnerware', following my afternoon tea in Cambridge.

Well... it goes like this:

We were all served food on little side plates.  They were all different, old plates.

I finished my food and was sitting there, looking at my plate.  It was making me feel 'weird'.

Then the penny dropped.

It was a plate from the dinner set my Mum used way back when I was a small child!

I immediately wanted to nick it!  lol

But as I said to the ladies around me, I simply couldn't, as it would eat away at me.  Stealing a plate!  Yeah, nah.

Next thing, the waitress is clearing the tables, and she drops literally half a dozen cups and plates... and they ALL SMASH on the floor.

Me, ever resourceful, thinks I can nick the plate now, and they won't notice, right?

But no.  I still can't do it.

So I decided to take the plate up to the counter and ask if I can buy it!

And that's what I did... and the girl behind the counter said she would go and ask the owner, who was outside doing some weeding of the gardens.

Next thing, she's back, and says "You can have it"!  I was so happy.

I went outside and gave that lady a hug.

ABOVE:  So there it is, a random side plate.  I'm going to put it in one of the  china cabinets, so it isn't broken.

Now, what am I doing today?

First and foremost, I am going over to Cambridge to see a friend.

After that, I will come home and do my usual Monday housework.  Oh Ya.  😁


MY POSITIVE THOUGHT FOR THE DAY


12.16 pm:  And I'm home from being out and about.
It was a good, productive morning.  I got to see a friend I'd not seen since we moved here to Hamilton.

Then I visited Stew and had morning tea with him.... OK... I had Diet Coke, let's get real!

Home now, and I've got washing on, and am about to have a baked potato with baked beans for me lunch.

Brylee is here just to annoy me (she said it, not me!).
Looking forward to wizzing around with the vacuum cleaner later.  Weird.

Dinner is on.
Vacuuming is done.

SPARKLING:  It's super easy to use.  Works on the hard floors just fine.  Empties like a breeze, just open and tip. Light and easily manoeuvrable.  It picks up all the shit on the floor as you would want it to. I have not used any of the attachments yet, but I do believe they will be wonderful too.

I think the most useful thing about it is that it's so easy to use... you just take it off it's charging station and away ya go!  No cords.  No damn hose.  No pulling a vacuum around behind you.

I went out with Brylee this evening. She's been looking for a new flatting situation.  So, we went to look at a house that has 4 other 20 something people in it.
The minute the door opened we were confronted with two really LOVELY young women, who invited us in and proceeded to charm us.
Well, it didn't take much.  We liked them and the house.

Brylee will be moving in over the next two weeks.  She's very happy.
Here's hoping it's a better fit for her.

And that's the end of my day.
Catch ya tomorrow.

20 comments:

  1. We took the boys to the Auckland museum last week and there was a Crown Lynn crockery display showing their designs through the years. I saw plates that instantly took me back to my childhood so I understand why you wanted that plate. There is a little shop in Thames that stocks old crockery and I've seen many items in there that trigger memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lovely you have the plate now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was gifted several bowls from my grandmother’s house. Serving bowls, a set of nesting bowls, I remembered all of them from my childhood. Love them.

    I found exact duplicates on eBay. I bought, so there are now two of each (of all of them) and even I do not know which were my grandmother’s. So if one gets broken, I will be okay. And if all survive, I have two daughters, they can each have a set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your positive thought for the day is my life mantra. Just like you can't change people, you can only change how you respond to people. Those two are my life mantras. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe these are all signs that your Mum is with you and helping you throughout your life x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't put it away - use the plate every day for your breakfast or your crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, Bec and Lacy we must have been channeling 😉 I totally agree. A friend of ours is Sir Tom Clarke's son who started Crown Lynn in Auckland funny how things can be linked together 💙 doctor has put me off work for another week am sick of feeling sick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you such a sick'o! I hope you are feeling better soon. {{{HUGS}}}

      Delete
    2. It's really gross 😝 but just working through it

      Delete
  8. That's a lovely story about the plate. I agree that it's a sign from your mother. I have some things of Mum's that I remember from my childhood and it's such a comfort to have them in the china cabinet (when I unpack the bloody things!) to look at every day. Can't wait to see how the new vacuum goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am curious to hear how the vacuum goes on hard floors. And how easy it is to clean and empty. And everything about it cos I want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want one too now. I blame Chris. ;)

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful story about the plate Chris. A wonderful gesture from the café owner and she definitely deserved a big hug. Love your positive thought of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiwionholidays6:21 PM

    💐❤️💐👍
    What a fab Recco for an upright ,,
    Cheers 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:00 PM

    How lovely for Brylee!!

    Cheers

    Peta

    ReplyDelete
  13. That plate story is very special! It belongs with you xx The new flatting situation sounds like it could just turn out to be awesome. Hope the move goes well for Brylee :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like another busy weekend for you. Glad you got your vacuum, have fun!. All the best to Brylee on her move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh hope that works out well for Brylee!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.