Thursday, February 17, 2022

AROUND IN CIRCLES

 I don't know why, but no one seems to be prepared to put in writing what they think of our driveway.

Ken who came last night said he couldn't, as he wasn't 'the right person' to do it.  Even though he's been in the asphalt industry for many, many years!

But in REALITY, he didn't want to have to deal with 'K'!  He knew of him, he had not heard good things about him, and didn't want to have to deal with him at all! He said 'K' has a reputation, and is unstable when backed into a corner! 

GREAT.

He told us to go to another company ... trouble is I talked to them back in December, and was told they would not critique another company's work either.

I'm like, is there nowhere we can go to get expert advice and a written opinion on our driveway?

We need that to proceed with how we approach 'K' again, to make him pay for the driveway to be fixed.

Everyone is saying it's a shit job, defective asphalt, shit job by the plumbers who spilt the petrol, the gaping hole where the water pipe was damaged... bla bla bla.

Yet no one will put it in writing? 

Where do simple homeowners go ?

Today I'm going to the company Ken recommended, and talk to them face to face.

Even if they are not prepared to put anything in writing, perhaps they can direct me to some Association that can?  I also want a quote from them to redo the asphalt.

Is there a Driveway/Asphalt Association in New Zealand where normal people can go to make complaints?

I feel like we are just going around and around in circles.

I wonder if Citizens Advice can help with that?

Right... next thing.

I finished this yesterday...

ABOVE: This is the second Coffee Cup Runner I've made.  There is one left to make using this fabric.

It was fun to make.

Now I'm working on one for my crankiest daughter, for her birthday next week.

ABOVE:  Ummm... forgot to show you all the one and only perfume I use!  There it is, it's a men's one in fact.  But I love it.

I had planned on going for another walk this morning, but there is one being held by the FBG's tomorrow, so I might just wait and do that one instead.

I WILL do some swiss ball squats and have a swim today though.  



10.30 am:  I have spent the past two hours on the phone, or researching on the internet.

I've lined up a couple of quotes to have the driveway ripped up, so we know what it costs for future developments.

I have lined up a couple of concrete contractors for a quote on getting a concrete driveway, once the asphalt has been removed.

I have spoken to a couple of Building Inspection firms.  They do not inspect or critique asphalt driveways, only buildings.

I've talked to Citizens Advice Bureau and they said our best course of action would be the Disputes Tribunal.

LASTLY, I emailed 'K' and told him the only option we would be happy to accept from him was:

a) he rips up the driveway, at his expense, as it is his fault it needs to be ripped up.  Either by his company, or another.  Up to him.

b) he also refunds our deposit, so that we can then proceed with getting our driveway reinstated.

I told him failing to do this would mean we have to go to the Disputes Tribunal, on the advice of the Citizens Advice Bureau.
We have given him 1 week to respond.

I got a reply from him within a few minutes, just acknowledging receipt of my email.  Fastest reply from him EVER!

Now we wait.

I have a massive headache.  Pills I took at 8 am are not touching it.  Dammit.
Stress of course.

I heard from a Building Inspection company ... he has recommended a couple of 'much higher up' people, who can help me with a written report... IF we need to go down that track.
DUCKS  🐥🐤🐥 DUCKS... they are lining up.

ABOVE:  I just finished this runner for cranky bitch's birthday next week.
I did two things differently.  One:  I added a hanging strip at the top.  And two: I quilted it.   

It had an annoying crease right through the middle, from the fabric being folded for too long.

The only way to get rid of the fold crease was to quilt it.  That worked thankfully.

I will show you the front after I've given it to it's recipient. 

Now I've stopped for lunch, and to wait and see what our Covid Numbers are like today.  Yesterday they went over 1,000 for the first time ever.
That was shocking.
I hope they don't remain that high for too long.

8.50 pm:  Well our numbers went up again... today the number was 1,573 new Covid Cases!
That's a huge number for our little country.

Luckily our hospitalisations are not too high ...  YET.
Who knows what will happen over the next few weeks.

I did bugger all this afternoon.  Just felt yuk.

I made a meat ball and noodle dinner for Stew and I .  It was very filling.

Now... down time.  I will watch Coronation Street then head off to bed.
I've got an early start in the morning.

16 comments:

  1. An ombudsman maybe, also what about insurance but I swear Fair go because they will approach independent accessor it may be a long process but I bet it will be worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a "home inspection" type place? People usually use them before buying a house... with the actual intention of finding out any problems before buying it? It is their job to find problems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like everyone is afraid of this K guy. I wonder if he has a criminal background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you see if someone is willing to travel from Auckland. They are close enough that the travel fee for the quote shouldn't be too bad but far enough away to be out of K's local area? We have a building association over here in Australia I had to get them out last year when a tradie damaged the roof. A few days later it poured down with rain and water was pouring inside through my light fittings and hallway roof. They made him rectify the roof and fix all the internal damage. Thankfully! We too had a run of shitty tradies in 2021 😪

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Have you looked at this website: https://www.confused.com/home-insurance/guides/how-to-deal-with-shoddy-workmanship. Might be useful. Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. For years my go-to perfume was the blue Joop. Now my luxury perfume is Black Opium. But day to day I use whatever is on hand. I have SO MANY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect you will need that "higher up" fellow to put something in writing, or on a recording. You will need some sort of "proof" that the asphalt and workmanship are crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The driveway itself is PROOF ... and all the photos I've taken!

      Delete
  8. Chris, do you have a TV Media Station that takes consumer problems, that come to your home and interview you? Here in the US we have many that do that. Then they report on the Evening News, which ends with a bad reputation for business that you are dealing with. Most businesses here absolutely hate getting any News Media coverage. Just a thought.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do, it's called 'Fair Go'. That would be a last resort, as it would probably take months and months to get a resolution, IF they took the case.

      Delete
  9. I got a big shock when i seen the covid numbers today...its not going away any time soon....your pricing driveways im pricing moving companies, yip on the move again. Had a scare couple weeks ago i drove off the road made me think about how vulnerable i am her so need get into town ithink

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take him to Fair Go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely Fair Go. A friend of ours got on Today Tonight here in Adelaide and got the problem resolved. These kind of shows love a David and Goliath battle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:39 PM

    I love uour coffee runner. If I liked coffee or had a table it would be sold lol.you make awesome stuff. I was so looking forward to start sewing again!!! I piss myself off sometimes.lol b stupid thing to do. Painful too. awesome to chat. LY KJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pain this driveway has been, however looks like you have things under control to get it sorted out. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If the other companies won't put their opinion in writing, can you record them on your phone? I don't know if that would help (to have a recording of them saying the driveway has to go) but it wouldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.