Wednesday, February 16, 2022

DUCKS.... DUCKS....

 ALMOST got all me ducks in a row...


ABOVE:  Since hearing back from the Asphalt Contractor, where he did his 180 degree turn around, and is trying to literally walk away from his shitty job... I've been doing my homework.

We replied to his email, just pointing out that he was going back on his word in relation to fixing our driveway.  And we said we were looking at all the options, and would get back to him in due course.

So.  I've talked to a concrete contractor.  The job to rip up the existing asphalt and put down concrete is $26,000 !

That is $16,000 MORE than what the asphalt cost.

Today or tomorrow we have another asphalt company coming to give us their quote, to do the same thing, rip it up and do it again with asphalt.

We fully expect that to be around $18 -20,000.

In light of that, I've also been researching how to make 'K' pay for it.  He has caused this to become a huge added expense (to fix it) ... so by rights, he should be paying for it.

I am pretty sure I am right on that?

Once I have the 2nd Asphalt Company's quote to fix the driveway, I can go back to 'K' and say... YOU FIX IT, or pay to have it fixed.

It should not be up to us to shoulder the EXTRA costs involved to fix something he has done.

It is a very slow process. 

IF he refuses to do it, or pay for it to be put right, we move to the next phase.

Again, I've done my research and the next phase would be taking him to the Disputes Tribunal.

They handle small claims, up to $30,000, and if you win, it is legally binding.  There is a fee to lodge a claim, but it's not huge.

I hope we don't have to go down that road.

But I'm prepared to.

Moving on.  It's not been too bad having Stew working from home this week.

Except for lunch times.  I've been making sandwiches for us.  But I'm not used to having big sandwiches for lunch, and have felt ikkkk for hours afterwards.

So, that is gunna stop.  ONE smallish sandwich is all we are having now.  And maybe some fruit.

FRUIT.

Stew and I hardly eat any fruit.  I'm not that fussed on it really.  But today I might just pop out and get some nice fresh fruit.

Watermelon.  Grapes.  Plums.  Yeah. Sounds good. 

I keep procrastinating about doing some sewing.  Because there are no markets for the foreseeable future, I just don't see the point.

BUT there is one project that I need to get finished for someone's birthday soon.   So I might get on with that later on today.

Otherwise, I'm just being the most lazy tart ever!


Fruit has been purchased.
Now we just need to EAT IT!

LACY called in for a chat.  That was lovely.

I have sent Brylee to a local Op Shop, to volunteer to work there.  I am not having her sitting on her arse doing nothing any longer.  She needs to get out there and demonstrate she is willing to work, even for free.
She is NOT going to become yet another beneficiary on my watch.

Now.  The driveway.
Let's just freshen your memory shall we?

The Asphalt company said my driveway would look a MILLION BUCKS once he'd done it.  There would be no more LOOSE STONES.  It was going to be amazing, the best driveway in the street in fact.

ABOVE: While the burst water pipe was due to their compacting machine, the resulting petrol damage/staining was down to the Plumbers.

But to leave it like THAT, with a gaping hole for 2 and a half months already?  

And tell me that the petrol staining would EVENTUALLY FADE?  

How long is EVENTUALLY?

How AMAZING does my driveway look?  It's NOT what I am paying for, or what he promised.

ABOVE: This is the pothole (getting bigger and bigger) that was caused by the petrol spill by the plumbers.  Seems the plumber is happy to pay to fix JUST THE POTHOLE.   Not the staining.


ABOVE: That is the staining from the plumbers trying to wash the petrol off the driveway.  There is heaps more up by the house from their boots walking all through the petrol too.  Apparently I'm just supposed to live with it?
NOPE.  Not going to.  NOT how I was told my new driveway would look.


ABOVE:  The driveway now.  Heaps of discolouration's, tyre tracks, tyre indentations,  join lines, nasty jagged edges and LOOSE STONES everywhere.

NOT WHAT I AM PAYING FOR.  It is worse now that before they did it.  AND it is up to THEM to fix it.  At their cost.  

I hate being a bitch and moan sort of person, but fuck me, I know my rights.

And I am perfectly happy to FIGHT to get it put right.

It's nearly lunchtime.  I'm going to make Stew and I a sandwich and cut up some fruit.  Yaaa.

Me and my mouth eh?
Shoot me now.

Another storm in a tea cup.  Lacy is over it now.
I've been sewing this afternoon.  I got another Coffee Cup Runner done.
I'll show ya tomorrow.
I also did 80% of another runner, for a cranky bitch's birthday next week.

Now, I'm about to make our dinner.  Tonight Stew and I are having home made Beef Burgers.
I'm picking they will be awesome.

BLOODY HELL... I totally forgot to mention the fact that I went for a walk this morning!  Just around my neighbourhood, at 8 am.  It was already quite hot by then, so I was only out for 20 odd minutes.
Tomorrow I'm gunna do it again, might start earlier, and go further.  
Today not only was it getting too hot, but me knickers fell off me bum.... like RIGHT OFF.  Most uncomfortable.

8.37 pm:  Well Ken from another asphalt company called in to talk with us this evening.
He stayed for about an hour and a half!
And he confirmed everything we already knew.
The driveway is ruined.  It all has to be ripped up.
But as he's just left the asphalt business, he doesn't feel it would be right for him to give us written quotes to fix it.  But he has directed us to another company that might.
It's going to be a long process.
Our best option is to get our deposit back, and make 'K' pay to rip up the driveway.
Then we would start from scratch, and possibly go with concrete instead of asphalt again.
God it's a nightmare, lol... that is what Ken said tonight!

So, I now have a thumping headache.  We have been given so much information from Ken!  It's a lot to take in.

I'm off to relax till bedtime now.
Catch ya tomorrow.

21 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of fruit either. Don't buy too much the first time - it might not get eaten.
    I really liked yesterday's "review you" - post. You and Stew are so cute! And what a fun story of meeting and falling in love!
    The concrete option is not "that" much more expensive. It might be a lot nicer in the end. And cooler on bare feet than black. Have you had actual "experts" tell you what is wrong with the current job? Like "proof" that the asphalt/workmanship is subpar and/or defective?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris I love fresh fruit. Have you tried those canned plums in NZ. When I first went to NZ fifty years ago I first tried them, they are magnificent!! I have had people bring them back to Melbourne for me. When I eventually get back to nz I’ll be leaving room in my case for them. Think they’re called black Doris plums, can’t get them here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:06 AM

    If 'K' gives you your deposit back and you don't have to pay the remainder, won't that be about the same as having the new asphalt by a different company. If you are able to afford the extra, I think I would go with the concrete because won't you have the same doubts about using asphalt again. I don't think you can claim for inconvenience so 'K' will owe whatever it cost you to get the driveway in the first place and no more - I think I am right about that. Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to clarify, 'K' has admitted that the asphalt he laid is defective. If he pays us back our deposit of $3,000 and walks away, we are left with the cost of ripping up the driveway (and his shoddy asphalt) and getting it done again. The cost to rip up the driveway is approximately $8,000, then to re-do the asphalt with a different company would still cost us $10,000. So we would be OUT OF POCKET by &8,000. That is on 'K', not us.

      Delete
  4. Another one who doesn’t eat fruit. All I ever have in my house is lemons. We eat heaps of veg though. Well done for lining up your ducks! Can’t see how he can wriggle out of rectifying a shoddy job. It’s excellent that you have such detailed evidence if it all too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100% I would go concrete if you can. It will be so much nicer than black asphalt! Never disintegrates at the edges, cooler in summer - won't have that black oozing heat around your house, easy to clean...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:45 PM

      Same here! In my grumpy opinion, asphalt is not meant to be used for household driveways. I did it once and NEVER again. It stunk, it melted in the heat and my kids tracked tar into the house. Some of that tar is still there, in the house. Could never remove it. Chris, please spend the extra and get yourself a nice concrete driveway. Have some color added to the mix, you'll be much happier I think!

      Delete
  6. I find fruit much easier to eat (and more tempting) if it's cut on a platter. I don't enjoy biting into a whole apple but love slices of it! If you could possibly afford it I think concrete is the only way to go for a driveway. I personally would never consider asphalt but yes, it's a big expense. When you consider the look of it and how much your home is worth though, it's totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about the concrete Lynda.

      Delete
  7. https://www.kmdesigns.co.nz/ did our concrete driveway in Ohaupo in case you were interested in other concrete quotes - Surrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lacy, I think your Mum is so lucky to have you. We have all seen how much help you give her. You always seem willing to step up to the plate. I feel bad that your feelings were hurt. I always enjoy seeing you with Keera. Jo in Wisconsin (U.S.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:58 PM

    I'm sure that you didn't intend to be getting at Lacy when you were talking about Brylee but that is how it came across to Lacy. Foot in the mouth territory! - I have been guilty of that many times in the past. Are you sure you can do voluntary work when collecting weekly ACC because my daughter was told by ACC that if you can work at all then you should not be on ACC - I suggested voluntary work to her! Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leeann5:37 PM

    Lacy I'm sorry to hear of your job/mental heath troubles. I was thinking that you are very good with animals and wondered if you had tried a job like a dog groomer? You would hopefully have more animal than human contact, just a thought. I just think your Mum put her foot in it by mistake, like she said she would just say to you directly. I know she appreciates all the help you give her and you do work hard for those leftovers! Good on you for getting some professional help too, that's a big step. I hope I haven't offended you, I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:01 PM

    Hi I hope you get the driveway sorted soon...really annoying for you...I don't eat much fruit or high fibre foods and I am paying for it this week with a terrible bout of diviticulitis...very painful, just when I had decided to go back to aqua aerobics....so I cannot go this week...hurts to even walk....Lacy, glad you are feeling ok again...I have been reading Chris's blog for many years and it seems you always do the best you can....your mother certainly appreciates you..as she does all her children....even when they annoy her....lol..

    Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Diverticulitis settles down. Remember, it is mostly down to what you eat! And sadly, it is a nasty thing to have. {{{HUGS}}}

      Delete
  12. Anonymous7:16 PM

    Did you say what perfume you wear? did I miss it?

    Peta

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ken could still write a report giving his professional opinion on the job & his recommendation for fixing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won't. He is not prepared to go head to head with 'K' over our driveway. He doesn't want the stress! He's just sold his asphalt business so he can relax. He's a bloody nice guy, but not our guy. I gave him a bottle of wine as a thank you for him coming and talking to us. He has given us lots of information, for which we are grateful for.

      Delete
  14. Goodness I do hope you get the asphalt problem resolved. What a pain! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:23 AM

    Please keep in mind that with a concrete driveway if something like a little oil leaks from someone's car engine it stains very badly. There is really no way to remove stains from concrete driveways. You may want to drive around and see if other people will let you view their concrete driveways so you have an idea how they look after being used for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  16. having K rip it up and return the deposit sounds like a good compromise/start. That is the closet you can get to starting over or returning it to the previous condition. But they might do an even worse job knowing they won't be getting paid and in fact losing money. But really, covering mistakes is part of running a business. They should not go belly up over one effed up job. I would also be happy to have any of that water stuck under there see the light of day and dry up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.