Friday, December 08, 2017

YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE...

The one thing I find difficult with having a 'public blog' is that you inevitably get well meaning people giving you their ideas/opinions.

Now there is nothing wrong with that of course, I do it too.
But at the end of the day... when it comes to what I'm doing with stuff in my home I have the final say.

And so... I will be doing the fire surround and mantle piece my way.  Sorry if it's not what you would do, but that's the beauty of us all being different!

This is kinda how it will look:


ABOVE:  We cannot move the brown corner lounge suite, so part of the 'fire surround' bit is obscured.  It is what it is, nothing we can do about it, and that is why I had thought of having it more as a 'shelf' as opposed to a fire surround/mantle piece.

So, we are leaving it as it is, but not adding all the extra side bits of wood it came with, they are not necessary.

I was thinking of painting it the same colour as the walls, but Stew thinks it will look better white, so I'll put the white undercoat on, then sit it against the wall again to see how it would look staying white.

If I don't like it, I can then paint it the same as the walls.

I have no intention of leaving it as 'natural' wood.  That's NOT the look I'm going for.

So, after I get Keera to school, I will be coming home and cleaning up the wood ready for painting.  It's already been sanded a bit, so I don't have to do too much myself.

I'm hoping to have the undercoat on by the end of the day, then I can position it again, and see how it will look white.

ONWARD...

10 am:  And I've been working on making the lounge work better, and I came up with an idea first thing this morning, and couldn't believe no one had thought of it sooner!

I have taken a little video to show you... it's still uploading.

In the meantime...


ABOVE:  I've been adding bits 'n' pieces BACK to the verticals, so now we don't have to cut out the skirting board at all.  WINNING!  lol

HERE'S why I'm so happy this morning:



ABOVE:  Lounge and 'fake fireplace' sorted!  Now I simply can't wait for it to be up and looking gorgeous.

3.23 pm:  And I haven't got much done with the painting!
We got unexpected visitors ... the SUE'S!


ABOVE: Sue #2 on the left, and Sue #1 on the right!  Cuddling with the puppies.  
We spent a lovely couple of hours chatting and wasting time with the pups.
So lovely to see them after quite a long time.

Next year I can meet them on a more regular basis, as I won't have to rush home in time to pick up Keera from school.  

Now though, it's back to that painting.

The painting is going well.  I was going to show you how it is going to look, but Stew and I are working on the 'tweaks' to it... so I don't think I'm going to show you any more now till it's done.
And that will probably be Sunday night at the earliest.

So... come back then!
(or sooner, cos ya know I will be blogging tomorrow too eh?  *smiles*

It's stinking hot again tonight, I swear it just gets hotter and hotter as the day goes on.
Quiet evening ahead, painting, planning .... and so on.

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:05 AM

    I am leaning toward it being painted white myself :) And I think it will be great! Can't wait to see it finished and I think it is a GREAT idea.
    Dawn P. in Albany, Georgia USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:53 AM

    Morning whatever you decide it'll look FAB have a great day George's Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my opinion is that it's a great idea. A unique shelf, much more interesting than a boring floating shelf. I reckon it will look good white, really make it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have missed having a mantle piece myself...love the idea Chris...and I think it will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love your fire surround/mantlepiece. It looks awesome. You have great vision to come up with all these things. We have a fire surround at our place with pressed tin on the wall in the fire place bit. I suspect someone put the tin there to cover a dodgy wall ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great and your "brain-storm" just happened Now so you can enjoy it for Christmas!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:18 PM

    Are you asthmatic because you sound very out of breath

    ReplyDelete
  8. No not asthmatic, I was out of breath though... been running around like a twit and then dragging furniture around right before hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you have rearranged your furniture to get the fire surround in

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:48 PM

    Will work out our busy sched lol for the update tomorrow

    Love you guys energy and that Whanau,are all included along the way ..
    Those days we will all look back on ,with treasured memories,,, and know we did our best ..

    cant wait to see the final Kauri,,, as and when its done and dusted lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woop whoop winner. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:26 PM

    loved how the 2 sues called in ...

    through you can call me sue"" I got to find your blog .. Love the way animals and gardens and all, as with sue no 2 feature in your blogs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you should pick bright colour out of the picture above the mantle.. pink or purple or yellow!!! That would be awesome!! ;) just another opinion :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:36 AM

    Chalk paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great solution! Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome idea Chris. I love it. Yoou are amazing but I wish yoou were closer and coould me and help me swap bedroooms this weekend liol. Have fun at the Xmas party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is what I wanted to say before being booted off again you knew exactly the end truly and by jives you will pull it all altogether and it will as always be amazing.,.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.