Monday, September 21, 2020

DAY THIRTEEN - QUARANTINE IN AUSTRALIA

 TODAY marks my LAST full day here in this damn room!

Tonight... my last night here.

I am literally jumping for joy!

Is it too soon to start packing up all my stuff?

NOPE, it's not.  I'm going to have it all sorted out by the end of the day, that way tomorrow I only have to pack my toiletries and then I'm outta here. I bet I'm standing by the door, all ready to go by.... 6.35 am!  I actually don't expect to be out of here until late afternoon, to coincide with when I arrived.  Not sure. 

😂😆😇

I know I will have to go through quarantine again on my return to New Zealand... but at least I will be more prepared for it.

I will know to order in HEAPS of diet coke! And snacks.

And don't tell them you're a diabetic, cos they will starve you!  Or give you VEGAN food. Dang, I hope in NZ ya get a 'menu' of sorts, some CHOICE would be amazing.  

Back to today.... it's another long, tedious day to get through.

I think I've been fairly lucky that I have been able to amuse myself so 'easily'.  The computer and it's ability to keep me in touch with the outside world has been INVALUABLE.  I would have been sunk without it.

ANYONE who is about to enter quarantine... OMG take a laptop or similar! 

The number of work out videos on YouTube is amazing I must say!  YouTube is an awesome site, I can totally recommend it.  And not just for that, but literally anything you want to see/watch/learn.  I love it.  

I've got something 'special' happening today!

Dinner tonight is going to be a real treat!

My friend Paula, who lives in Christchurch, New Zealand has been bugging me for days to allow her to shout me a nice dinner.

So ... to mark my last evening here, I relented and she is getting me a lovely Italian pasta meal, and it is being delivered by Uber Eats.

I've never had anything delivered by Uber Eats before.  

There has been a lot of 'firsts' happening for me lately I must say.  Too many to list in fact.

Right, I'm off to make a start on my pre-packing!

ONWARD...

Finally, after three overcast and wet days, we have a beautiful day here in Sydney.  Bodes well for tomorrow! 

From my window I can't see a single cloud in the sky. The traffic is steady... everyone heading off to work.  Another busy day out there.  


8.07 am:  And breakfast arrived.  

ABOVE:  Thank god the granola wasn't already mixed with the Greek yogurt!  I put the granola with the cornflakes and had a semi-ok breakfast.

The banana had gone way past ripe, so it went in the bin.  Butter and Jam?  *snort*  Dicks.

This breakfast gets a middling 5/10.

MARIA:   From what I've read on the information sheets given to me when I arrived, I can expect to be released from Quarantine between 4 - 6 pm tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks for asking, it made me double check, and I found that information.

ABOVE:  Two sticky notes (nights) left!  TWO... then I will be in Coffs Harbour... seeing Mum and Ron.

Some people just make my blood boil!
ANON:  get your facts right.

ABOVE:  Just proving a point.

10.33 am:  And I just got a visit from the 'Pre-departure Screening Team'.

ABOVE:  The all important paperwork! And a mask and sanitiser.

ABOVE:  One hell of a memento to keep.

My temperature was taken, a million questions asked; then a wristband was put on me.  I was handed my 'paper work' and was told I was free to leave any time after 4 am tomorrow morning!

4 am!  Wow, I had read my leaving time was after 4 pm, but I'LL TAKE IT!
I said I would be out of here around 9 am.

That means I won't have to suffer another breakfast or lunch here!
I think my first stop will be a cafe that serves scrumptious breakfasts!

THEN I have something else on my agenda... before heading out to my next motel.

OMG I am literally jumping for joy!   I don't have to spend all of tomorrow clock watching!!!!!
There's some happy tears happening right now.  For real.

12 noon:  lunch:

ABOVE:  And would ya look at that!  The EXACT same salad for three days in a row now.
The Rice Paper roll was DELICIOUS ... and the Nut Bar was OK too.

So, today's lunch gets a decent 6/10.  

And that is my LAST LUNCH / MEAL here. Thank God. 

I suppose dinner will arrive ... and I will probably take a photo and just bin it.  Cos, I've got a delicious meal coming from  'THE OUTSIDE WORLD' tonight !!!  WHOOP WHOOP.

1.39 pm:  Awesome news!  The OLD MOO is getting out of hospital ... again!  She should be home for dinner.  
I'm so happy.  If she manages to stay out of the hospital, I will get to see her more often.

Covid rules here, (and in NZ); mean you can only have ONE visitor per day.  So that will be something to contend with at a later stage.

But for now... I've got some happy tears again.



3.30 pm:  There's a knock at the door.  Weird.  It's too early for dinner.  I'm not expecting any packages or deliveries.

So I go to the door, trusty mask in place... and it's a bloke delivering a bottle of wine to everyone about to leave tomorrow.  

As a 'Thank You' for choosing ParkRoyal to stay in.  Ummmm, there was no choice, but I will let that slide.

I tell him I don't drink wine, and could he give it to someone else?  

Nope.  He immediately grabbed a Sparkling Grape Juice off the trolley instead!
How awesome is that?

Now I have a lovely dinner coming this evening, AND I get to drink Sparkling Grape Juice too.

5 pm and my UBER delivered dinner arrived:


ABOVE:  Hold on... I need to adjust me waistband  
........
.................
.....................  OMG!  Delicious!  HOT!!!  Smells amazing (I clearly don't have Covid!)...  And it tastes like mana from heaven.

Seriously nicest meal in two damn weeks!

THANK YOU SO MUCH PAULA! 

I can't eat it all, so hopefully it tastes good tomorrow morning cold?  Hee hee.

The grape juice is rather moorish too.

Let's rate this meal shall we?  

How about 20/10? 

To someone who has been subjected to 'mostly'  crap food... this meal was AMAZING.

I now need to lie down and let that settle... OMG I'm so full!  I think my stomach has shrunk in the two weeks I've been here!

6.30 pm:  And the dinner arrived from the Catering Company.

ABOVE:  AND... what can I say?
They are goddam MORONS.
It clearly states on my dietary requirements... NO COOKED CARROT.  
And one beef patty?
Who the hell wants ONLY ONE for dinner?
They are out to starve everyone!

ABOVE: And when does 'LOW CARB' mean NO CARB?

This final insult is getting a rating of -10/10.
Because I just feel like they are totally taking the piss now.
I'm disgusted in them.

I am so thankful Paula shouted me a delicious, filling dinner tonight.  I shall sleep well.
And that ends my day.
Tomorrow I'm outta here.

47 comments:

  1. I read up a bit on quarantine in New Zealand and there were rave reports on the food compared to Australia. I am Australian myself and I think it’s disgusting that you really meals were inconsistent, inedible and mostly cold. As I have said previously you and others in quarantine deserve better than that. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be good for you to get an Uber Eats delivered. That will you will be experienced and comfortable with it while in NZ Quarantine. You jut might need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo. Enjoy your meal. Freedom!!
    Can imagine the anticipation. You gonna be so happy so soon.
    Can't wait to hear the next chaptet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:51 AM

    Good Morning DCR 😊
    #Lacy 💙

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... you've never had Uber eats before? I think you'll be ordering that once you are back home. We haven't ordered it often but there is so much choice and the delivery fee is only $5 or something, totally worth it! Have a great last day and enjoy that meal tonight! Freedom tomorrow.

    One more thing, in NZ you are allowed out of your room for exercise breaks/fresh air - that will be a treat after they way you've been cooped up without even fresh air! Hell, imagine if you'd had a balcony? Jeez... Anyway, nearly over and on with the next step of your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria9:41 AM

    Please ask them today about when and how you will be "released" so that there are no surprises tomorrow to upset you. Forewarned and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:11 AM

    A pasta meal for dinner.....haven't you been asking for no carbs for the past two weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO smart arse. I asked for them to CUT THE CARBS DOWN... as what they were serving me for every meal was 80% CARBS. NOT good for someone who is a DIABETIC. Some carbs (in moderation) are just fine. So yes, I will be having a Lasagna meal, which is still only about 50% carb. And I shall totally enjoy it, thank you very much.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:27 PM

      Anonymous aka keyboard asshole
      #Lacy 💙

      Delete
  8. I am shedding happy tears for you too Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, only one more night :-).

    I fought against Uber Eats for ages, I refused to get it but then after Gary died & I just did not feel like even heating anything up one night, the kids ordered it for me. I must admit, it is kinda cool and a nice treat occasionally. The older kids would have a few drinks & end up ordering McDonalds & pizza late at night which I think is somewhat insane but it is their money. Last weekend one of Samyson's friends came & had dinner & she ordered us McFlurries from McDonalds for dessert :-).

    WHY do the arseholes hide under Anon??? If you have something to say at least have the balls to put your name to it - oh - and it is one of your bloody business anyway fool!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a relief! You can wake up in the morning and WALK OUT THAT DOOR! Freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm shedding happy tears for you too Chris.
    Enjoy your Uber meal tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeh! Not long to go 💙

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:47 PM

    So happy for you, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You deserve a medal. Well done 👍 Tomorrow will be a wonderful day and Wednesday even better when you get to your Mum.
    Take care and stay safe. 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know about a medal Chick! I'm just one of thousands who have had to go through this experience. It has had it's moments I must admit, but I will come out stronger for it... I'm sure!

      Delete
  15. Ya not long to go now.. and 4am wow... how exciting.. go eat a delicious meal, you deserve it..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:10 PM

    yeap she really did cry, made us cry coz she was crying, so we all had a cry together 😊 happy tears 💙
    #Lacy 💙

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:30 PM

    Hooray!!!!

    Cheers Peta

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:07 PM

    Such happy news about the early "release". I bet that you would be out the door at 4am if it still wasn't pitch dark at that time. Enjoy your Italian meal tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right... I would leave at 4 am if it wasn't dark! The cop was really shocked when I told him I'd be leaving at 4 am! Then of course I had to say Nah, it would be around 9 am. Just being PRACTICAL of course. I am literally drooling thinking about dinner!

      Delete
  19. OMG a day on the loose in Sydney!! I hope you get to see a few sights before heading to the airport motel. Enjoy your Uber meal... wouldn't it be Murphy's law if the hotel meal delivered tonight was the best yet? Freedom... YES

    ReplyDelete
  20. So excited for you-last night and then freedom and some fresh air at last. Enjoy your meal tonight - great work Paula. Have fun tomorrow. Great news that mum is out of hospital and hope that continues.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, so happy for you Chris...release just around the corner. I would be awake at 2 counting down the hours LOL. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not long now Chris till you are free lol. I honestly don’t know how I would cope being in the situation you have been in for the last 13 days (putting aside all the stress and reason you are in quarantine). You have managed fabulously. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, photos of home and other things that took your interest and of course the food! Good and bad! Hehe. So very glad your mum is going to be going home. She’ll be over the moon to see you, and you her.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5:13 PM

    Yowzer how bloody exciting!! So what is the first thing you will do?? Good news about THE OLD MOO you will be able to hug her straight away when you get to Coffs YEEHAH 💙💙 George's Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so excited for you that you are down to your last 19 hours there ... yeah!! Sparking Grape Juice is so yummy ... I don't drink wine either - but love sparkling grape juice when I'm out celebrating things. Funny story for you ... some years back my friend was getting married and asked me to be her bridesmaid. She was so proud of herself for buying several dozen bottles of wine for the big day. I said you do realise that you'll have to buy me a bottle of sparkling grape juice? She bought me two bottles ... but I only managed 1 glass in total because all the other guests were pinching my sparkling grape juice - hardly anyone wanted wine, so she had so much left over! At our wedding I went the opposite way - heaps of sparkling grape juice and a lot less wine (and still I had bottles left over). It's amazing how many people will happily drink sparkling grape juice when offered, but a lot of places don't think to put it out in a prominent place for people to enjoy. Great news that your Mum is coming out of hospital tonight. Enjoy your dinner 😊

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woohoo! Your torture is nearly over!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Glad you had a great meal and that it was hot. Good meal and good news about your mum and early ‘release’, very happy for you. Maybe they should think about a microwave in iso rooms so food can be heated up
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reasoning behind no toasters, microwaves etc is to reduce 'fire risk'. Pffffft.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:36 PM

      So you get served tepid food which has potential health risks. That really makes sense

      Dee

      Delete
  27. Hey Chris - you’ve almost done it! Really does make me think how Covid has changed so much for so many families. Not long now until you see your mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kiwionholidays8:41 PM

    Fab countdown all but over .
    This time Wednesday you will be in Coffs with Mum and Ron ,
    Be interesting to see tomorrow’s Hotel , views n all the day’s activities

    Cheers 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous8:58 PM

    Hi Ma, I'm so so so happy you get out tomorrow, I no you appreciate being let into Auzi so you can be there for Granny but that dam hotel or should we call it Helltel needs a dam shake up with their food shit ect, could so feel your pain today and a few other times, why is it different in other places re quarentiene grrrrr
    We all love and Miss you so much back here in NZ 💙💙💙💙💜💜💜💜
    hope you get a good night sleep tonight xx xxx
    #Lacy 💙

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous9:05 PM

    Freedom! You've done better than most of us would. Your mum will be so pleased to see you. Kj

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stay safe, Chris. Your ordeal is almost over.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Enjoy your day in Sydney tomorrow. There is an amazing food court up the top of Westfields in the Pitt Street Mall
    https://www.westfield.com.au/sydney/quick-eats
    And don't forget to go to the David Jones foodhall for Chocolate Covered Strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Have a fab day in Sydney Chris, if you had more time you could have done the Home & Away tour! I can't wait for you to see your Mumma! Sharnee from Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well done for getting through your day one more sleep glad the old moo bit better and homeward bound,you will sleep well from food baby or not due to excitement x
    Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations! You are at the finish line. Sounds as though Stew has been super busy sorting out the garden. Wonderful to hear Mom is heading home. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow Chris, what a two weeks you have had. The only break in the monotony is the food and sadly, most of the time it was disgusting pig swill. I think that catering business needs a new dietician on staff, one that knows what low carb, diabetic means. Even the fruit was pretty blah! Thank goodness it's all over for you now, and it ended with a delicious meal thanks to your friend! You must be so excited to see your Mom and Ron. Enjoy your day in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Perfect timing, your Mom getting out of the hospital. I never even thought of the visitor restrictions! I don't think you can have ANY visitors here. I am so happy she will be home and you can visit freely!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Woohooo perfect ending to those disaster meals. Too full to eat their crap lol

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.