Friday, September 18, 2020

DAY TEN - QUARANTINE IN AUSTRALIA

 First up... for the past couple of days  I've been muddled up with how many more days/nights I have here.

I keep looking at the sticky notes on my wall... and last night I had another good look at them and realised I'd not taken down one somewhere along the way.  So I thought I was here for another 6 nights as of yesterday, when in fact... I'm now down to only FOUR more nights HERE, and one night out by the airport next Tuesday night, then I will be in Coffs Harbour!

Best thing of all is ONLY FOUR MORE NIGHTS HERE.  Then I will be free to walk outside, go anywhere, do anything, eat WHAT I WANT.  OMG  that is going to be amazing.

Next.  I got a Care Package at my door late yesterday afternoon!  How exciting....

ABOVE:  OOOOOoooowwwww... looks very interesting.


ABOVE:  And it is!  Some really lovely snacks, and luxurious toiletries and a cute little book. 

The book is all about motherhood... the semi humorous/not so humorous side of motherhood!  Very entertaining reading.


ABOVE: This is the note that came with the package.  It is lovely, and the bit about mealtimes just made me laugh! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†πŸ˜…

Thank You so much Penny, what a lovely thing to do.

ABOVE:  These rice cake thingees came with Colleen's care package last week.  I got around to trying them yesterday afternoon.  OMG I hope we have them in New Zealand!  They were delicious!  Yes, they are all gone now.  lol

Note:  they are only 17 calories per 'cake'.  


Now... first up for my day is going to be another bubble bath.  The last one was just so nice!  Let's hit 'repeat'.

ONWARD...

DAY TEN... day ten... what's so 'special' about day ten?

OH yeah... I just remembered.  I get my 2nd COVID-19 test today.  I should rejoice... cos once that comes back clear I will be able to leave here.  Yeah.  Thinking of the positives.  It takes four days for the results to come in.  Hence being released from here on Day 14... all going well.

IF you test positive you have to do ANOTHER two weeks quarantine!  Imagine that ... horror!

It is a cloudy, dreary looking day here in Sydney ... but it might clear up later.

Meanwhile, down in Melbourne:

ABOVE: It looks amazing!  I have a friend (Marie McN) who lives there and goes for a 14 km walk most mornings along the seaside.  Today it's like GLASS!  So beautiful. Apparently the brown blob in the water is a ship (HMAS CERBERUS),that was deliberately sunk there to act as a breakwater and dive spot; but is now off limits as it's deteriorating. All this wonderful information from Marie, thanks Chick. 

Breakfast arrived:

ABOVE:  And there is nothing to complain about here!  Fresh milk, a nice cereal, an amazing croissant, fruit bla bla bla.
I've been 'saving' up my jam pots, so used some on the croissant today.  SO YUM!

This meal gets a perfect 10/10.

JO:  I decided not to publish your comment from yesterday... as you said, it had the potential to cause sadness.  But I sympathise. πŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’š

I just had a comment come in that really required an answer. (Anon : 10.55 New Zealand time) I hope I did it without getting all defensive?

9.45 am : And I just had my 2nd COVID-19 test.  They couldn't do the swab down my throat as I just kept gagging and throwing up!  Was horrible.  Up the nostrils went better, even though it's slightly painful.  My temperature was 35.8 so all good there too.

I should get the all clear from that in just two days, not the four I was told on Day Two.
Yaaa, another hurdle jumped.


I just had some of the Cheesy Crackers Penny gave me.  Very, very nice!

1.00 pm:  Lunch arrived.  Don't get excited.

ABOVE:  It LOOKS OK eh?  Only the VEGETABLE SOUP looks revolting, and so does the VEGETABLE 'SALAD'.  Fuck I'm over left over vegetables from the night before. PUMPKIN??? 

I AM NOT A VEGETARIAN.  I didn't at any point tell them I was.  Grrrrr.

πŸ˜–πŸ˜ πŸ˜£

This meal got a measly damn 2/10.

I ate the bloody carrot sticks and hummus AGAIN... and then ordered a friggin' burger from downstairs.  It costs $19 for a cheeseburger and shoestring fries here.
It is worth it to have something to eat that is PALATABLE and filling.

Well... I've just won two hands of Solitaire!  
That was nice... after playing about 20+ hands.

Finally got to have a very quick word with The OLD MOO just now.  She was too tired to have a conversation with... but at least I got to hear her voice.
She assures me she's 'fine', so I will have to accept that.

I still feel too far away.

Time to get off me bum and do a few lengths of the room.  My shoulders and upper back are killing me from sitting at this desk for too long.

5.15 pm: Is it sad that I am starting to recognize cars on the motorway?  I'm like... OH LOOK, there's that cute little purple car heading home.... yeah.  I have looked at far too much traffic these past 10 days!
lol ... there's a bus literally LIMPING up the motorway ramp!  Bunny hopping... I think it's gunna die.  
It's drizzling, has been on and off all day.  

The guys on the big construction site have just finished for the day. Poor buggers, working in those conditions.  I presume though, that it's not cold out there?  I wouldn't know.

ABOVE: Well, dinner arrived bang on 6 pm.
And I was not hungry at all!
So I put it aside for later.
And when 'later' came... of course it was stone cold.  But the chicken was lovely!
I'm giving this meal a 7/10.
It would have scored higher but for the pumpkin πŸ˜….

I have literally had one phone call/video chat after the other since about 4 pm!  No chance to get lonely around here!

But now, I refuse to take any more.  I'm going to relax and watch something on Netflix until I'm tired, then go to bed.
Catch ya tomorrow.

35 comments:

  1. Morning Mum, wow only 4 sleeps till u get to leave, bet you can't wait.. over cast here, both girls ready for school..
    What a lovely care package, lots of goodies.
    Hope your meals are better today

    Love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:59 AM

    Sadly we dont have those rice cakes in NZ. They are so good! I think you can order them from herbal.com though.
    What a nice surprise from Penny! I love that expensive toiletry brand. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Yo DCR GoodMorning πŸ’œπŸ’‹

    iv slept in today, but having my morning cup of tea now then about to jump around in the shower for a bit 😊

    catch you a bit later xxxx
    #Lacy πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever been up this early reading your blog! The joys of a new puppy. How exciting that you forgot to count. You really are on the downward track.
    What a lovely gift from Penny. You will have to stock up on the rice cakes before you go home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes those rice cake snacks are totally sinful! Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but we're forecast rain on and off all weekend :P We're going away so that's a given, of course!

    What a lovely pamper pack! It's beautiful! I hope you've got another bag stashed in your stuff somewhere!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous, thoughtful gifts!! That must make you feel better. I find it hard to believe that they don't even let you get out of your room over there... it won't be like that here on your return thank goodness. Have a great day... counting down now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally depends where you end up being sent to quarantine. My sister and niece are in Brisbane quarantine right now too... but they are allowed access to the rooftop of their hotel, where they can walk, smoke, get fresh air etc. ParkRoyal obviously does not have anywhere for us to go to get fresh air and exercise without compromising the safety of not only us, but the community.

      Delete
  7. Dreary wet and cold day here in Auckland too :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:55 AM

    A friend showed me your blog and how unhappy you have been with the food. There are currently over 25,000 Australian citizens stranded overseas because quarantine numbers are capped in this country at 4,000 a week one of those precious spots that you managed to get and with your mothers I’ll health no Australian begrudges you that spot. My husband has been stranded overseas now for over 2 months bumped twice at the last minute, still no date on his return and we are desperate to get him home. A month ago I contracted covid19 from my job as a health professional spent a week in hospital and even then he could not get home. As a visitor in this country I wonder if you realise the situation we are in. The state of Victoria is in hard stage 4 lockdown now going on 7 weeks, curfews, only allowed to leave for food, medical minimum exercise, no more than 5km from home, no visitors, not allowed to visit friends or family. Thousands of business have been forced to close by the government, for months now, tens of thousands of people out of work with no end in sight, people losing everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am TRULY GRATEFUL to be here, and I realise how damn hard all the restrictions are on EVERYONE all over the world. In New Zealand we had to go through all the tough lockdowns too... but are now allowed much more freedom due to our very low numbers. AS for me complaining about the food... it is literally all I have to focus on while here in Quarantine... not even allowed to put my nose out the door. Well I focus on THAT, and my Mum's health, and my family back home. So, I apologise for complaining, but I probably won't stop! I'm keeping a lot of people entertained with my food critiques! And it's raising awareness of just how bloody awful it CAN BE in quarantine. It's not the same everywhere here in Australia I'm sure (well I bloody hope not!). Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:58 PM

      Well said Chris but you forgot the fact that you're paying to stay in quarantine so by my theory you should get better food and then there would be no need to complain. Kj

      Delete
    3. Anonymous3:04 PM

      ^^^ exactly what Kj said.

      so anyone else want to harrass my Ma...πŸ˜•
      #Lacy πŸ’™

      Delete
    4. Hi Anonymous. I can empathise with you that what you are going through would be hard - working in an elevated stressful environment in what is already a stressful vocation, having a scary time with Covid-19 on a personal level, and being separated from your husband at present would not be easy (and yes, I have personal experience of the later - my husband and I have experience of having 18 months living on opposite sides of the world due to circumstances outside our control). I do though feel that unless we've walked in someone else's shoes, we need to be respectful of their feelings and thoughts, as we don't really know what they are going through. I personally think that Chris is amazing - it isn't easy being over 2,000kms away from your husband and kids, waiting anxiously to be reunited with one of the most important people in our lives (a parent) who is unwell, and in the interim living in a very small confined space, with no fresh air, no ability to go for a decent walk to help the endorphins, and then to have one's health further compromised by food that does not meet the dietary requirements of one's medical condition. Scientific research confirms how important good nutrition is for both our physical and mental health. How difficult is it to provide decent food? It doesn't have to be expensive, or time consuming to prepare - just a little thought and care, which caterers at a number of other quarantine facilities seem to have mastered. I hope that your situation improves and that you are soon reunited with your husband, but in the meantime, how about expressing kindness to Chris instead of pointing out things which come across as a criticism. Chris has stated a number of times how grateful she is to be able to enter Australia to visit her Mum in the current circumstances. All the best.

      Delete
  9. naawwww Penny, you are such a sweetheart. That is a beautiful and thoughtful gift..... love to you and well done Chris on day 10!!!! Definitely on the downhill slope now xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Day 10 wow, you are getting there. Enjoying your quarantine blogging. I do not see your critiques as complaining but merely saying it how it is! It’s your feelings on your quarantine experiences! Congratulations to you. I can’t imagine how how it is and hope I’m lucky enough not to go through it! Keep your chin up, counting down the days with you πŸ‘πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  11. The food critiques are fun and silly. We KNOW you won't starve. It's just a matter of it being tasty or not. If everyone in your hotel gave critiques - I KNOW they would vary widely. One persons 2 Star review would be another persons 10 star~! It's just something to do to pass the time. Only a few more nights. OMG. I bet this is getting "tedious" for lack of a better word! If I was in Australia I would send you a package. It is so very thoughtful of your Australia friends to do that! Or whoever is doing it. I assume the packages are not traveling internationally that quickly. But I have been wrong before, when I assume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Care Packages have been sent from within Australia. So lovely eh?

      Delete
  12. So if your results will be back in 2 days, do you get to leave earlier?
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly NO. You must stay for 14 days, I presume in case you develop any symptoms late in your stay? Never mind... I'm totally well.

      Delete
  13. What thoughtful care packages. So lovely 😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nope dont stop the food posts. If anyone doesnt like it ,they dont have to read it. There are many of us that love them.
    Your breakfast looked great this morning. Forgot to post yesterday that I love Lacy's glasses,they look good on her.
    Your care packages this week have been so nice. Take care,not long now and you will be on your way to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely package! I am glad breakfast was good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting comment from anon - it is so hard for some people to get back home so you are lucky to have been able to get over there. I find the food critiques to be funny, as was said, we all have different tastes and I agree that it's all you have to look forward to/focus on. We all know you are very grateful to do this and get to see your Mum soon. Your reply to anon was good and I feel for that person too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a hidihi and good seeu getting thru the days dont hug mum too hard when u get to see her

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you grab the eggs and avo out of that salad for protein and good fats? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no fan of dry boiled eggs and avocado? Not liking that shit at all. Stew eats avocado all the time, he's a bit weird. lol

      Delete
    2. Yay for weird! I love it in salads. Sometimes squashed on toast. But mostly in salads.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous6:49 PM

      I'm an avocado πŸ₯‘ person too and vegy person too so I'm weird lol but iv been weird for ages lol πŸ˜‚

      Everyone has different tastes and we are all allowed to, coz if everyone was the same them shit lol πŸ˜‚

      Just ignore me lol iv just made a fire and most probably have smoke inhalation lol πŸ˜‚ 🀣 πŸ’‹ oh and a few beers xxx
      Love you DCR
      #Lacy πŸ’™

      Delete
  19. I was thinking... is there another person getting meat and saying "I told them I was a vegetarian". Maybe time for anther phone call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I'm just over it all to be honest.

      Delete
  20. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Not long to go now chick am hoping the weather is better than here rain, hail and sunshine OMG anyone would think I lived in Auckland lol πŸ˜† the lovely people who sent you the care packages just shows how much you are loved πŸ’™ keep your chin up we are all behind you Chris. George's Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous8:01 PM

    OMG Ma I cannot believe you have not taken a phone of said 'Cute PURPLE Car' 🀨 what the bleep is wrong with you WOMAN lol πŸ˜‚ 🀣 πŸ’‹
    #Lacy πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard of eating pumpkin as a vegetable. In this part of Canada it is strictly used for baking, mainly pies. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The finish line is getting closer! Fingers crossed your test comes back clear. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I still can't believe they don't give you a microwave. WTH those are pretty much standard in hotel rooms now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.