Wednesday, December 10, 2008

BEDSIDE VIGIL....

UPDATES:
- Stew's Dad made it through the night, we were with him all night. We are knackered!
- I'm off to pick up the kids from my Aunt's house in a minute, then I'll get them off to school and go back to sit with my Father-In-Law for the day. He is not expected to last till the end of the week.
- I won the door knocker, so that's great.

Here's some photos from yesterday ....
Thames Cemetery and in the distance is Thames (it's about 75 minutes from Auckland) ... behind me is the older part of the cemetery where my paternal Grandparents are buried... I couldn't find them yesterday as it was raining and blowing a gale and my shoes were killing me feet on the slope, and it's been a good few years since I was there.

ABOVE AND BELOW: At the Firth of Thames, Griffin on a Pohutakawa Tree, or our 'Christmas Tree'.... as it is usually covered with gorgeous red flowers over summer.

ABOVE: A Pohutakawa (poe-who-ta-ca-wa) in flower... this tree is endemic to New Zealand, it flowers from November to early February. They are a protected tree, you are not allowed to cut them down.

Below is a wee video of Teddy's reaction to seeing the Christmas tree for the first time... you will need to turn the volume UP to hear him! The last thing he growled at was my weather vane.



That's me for now....
LATER........
It's later... and I've just got home from being with Stew's Dad, he's settled down a bit since last night, his breathing is a little easier (morphine helps)... but he's not eating or drinking anymore, so it's just a matter of time. It is heartbreaking to watch him, I find myself holding my breath in time with him sometimes.... and my shoulders ache from being so tense. I hope he passes soon for all our sakes.
I'm off to get Brylee and Griffin from school soon, I want them to have a 'normal' afternoon today, Griffin had a very bad night last night.... out of his routine, he didn't have his Teddy in bed with him... he does not react well to unexpected changes. So he's a bit over the top today.... like grumpy/naughty/crying. *sigh*
I've spent the afternoon 're-bonding' with me house! I've vacumed, washed floors, done the washing, sorted out dinner... bathed the friggin dog and watered the gardens! That will do I reckon!
End of Day: Stew's Dad has rallied a bit.... still not likely to last much longer, but I think we can relax for tonight anyway. nite nite.

17 comments:

  1. Hope Stews Dad does not hang on to long they told us with Mum she would not make it through the night and it was three weeks before she passed, she had no water or food for 3 weeks but kept hanging on. It was so hard watching and waiting.... Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Stews' dad is frail and old and expectd to pass, but that doesn't make it any easier. So I am sending you my thoughts, its never easy to lose a parent..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hope that Stew's dad doesn't hang around too long and that it is a peaceful death. It's hard watching your parents or FIL this way I was in the same position in January this year with my dad.

    Take care and sending you (((hugs))) during this difficult time..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you & Stew as you face the days ahead. Take care of yourselves too. I know how hard it is to say "goodbye" for the last time.
    Luv & Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:11 AM

    Your family is very much in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you today Chris. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. It is so hard to go thru this anytime, but worse around a holiday.
    Teddy is so cute:)
    /hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about Stews dad. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. So hard seeing them hanging on. Hope he passes peacefully.

    Take care - and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Chris, it's been a heck of a couple of days for you! Dave's funeral, and now this. My heart really feels for you. Hang in there as best as you can, and give Stew and extra tight hug. It is rought when our Hubby's loose their father. We went through that 5 years ago, and it was tough.

    Warmest wishes are coming your way. I hope it is quick and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:10 PM

    Thinking of you both and lots of hugs. It's very hard indeed watching your loved one's hang on to nothing. Life is cruel.. no one should linger past their used buy date. I certainly hope I don't! Have lost both Dad and my Aunt in two months. But I can only imagine them having hugs up yonder and a lot of laughs. At least they are at peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Chris my thoughts go out to you and your family during this difficult time. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me of when my dad was dying - I ended up going home and he died at 4am. My brother was there but I doubt dad knew it. My thoughts go out to you and Stew.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My thoughts are with you and Stew and the family. I know how difficult times like this can be.

    I love the Christmas trees - both yours and the native ones! Thanks for the info about New Zealand! I would have never known about the trees without you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leslie and her mom went through situation with Leslie's grandfather. It is never an easy situation to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pictures are absolutely beautiful - like something from a postcard.

    I really need a vacation and get out more.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.