Yesterday I finally got all my recent Braid Runners finished. 12 in 6 days, what an effort!
ABOVE: There ya go, the photo of my hard work. I do have three more larger runners waiting to be quilted and bound, and I will probably have a go at them this afternoon/tomorrow.
No rush. Our next market isn't until August the 9th in Cambridge.
This morning I'm going down to the Community Centre to 'play ladies' aka Coffee & Chat.
Then who knows what I'll get up to? Not too much to be sure. My shoulders are really, really sore, any movement hurts right now. Hell, my left shoulder gives me pain even when I'm not moving it. Must take more painkillers, and stop complaining!
*** Here's a curly question. ***
Is there anyone reading my blog who's on a weight loss medication? Like Wegovy, which is available here in New Zealand. I am seriously considering it. The Trulicity I am on is for DIABETES CONTROL only, it is having no effect on me in relation to weight loss.
And I am starting to feel like I need help. My motivation to diet is non existent... having been 'on a fucking diet' for ... OH about 50 years. I'm over the relentless grind.
There's a guy at one of our markets who was quite 'heavy', then last month I saw him after not seeing him for a while, and he's lost a shit ton of weight. I was like, WTF happened? He told me he was using Wegovy, and the weight has fallen off. That is why I'm considering it. He's had no side effects at all, and is looking and feeling so much better.
I used to think having surgery or taking a medication was 'cheating', but now? Nah. If you really need help, and it's available, GO FOR IT.
What do you think?
...
ONWARD...
There's something to be said for just turning up at your doctor's rooms the minute they open the doors. I came down to make an appointment, and Leo saw me straight away! Boom! I am now waiting for the WEGOVY... nervous but excited as well.
12 noon. I had a very good discussion with my doctor about the bad habits that have crept back into my daily life. Scones. Lollies. Eating out. All self indulgent shit that MUST STOP.
He is going to see me again in one month, and expects to see good results.
I am highly motivated to do well... and not waste a huge amount of money on this new medication.
Because it is very expensive to say the least. I am starting on the lowest dose, and it can and probably will go up next month. So will the cost.
I am hoping that in 3-6 months I will have lost the weight and can maintain it without staying on the drug. Time will tell on that one.
But first.... I am having my first Wegovy injection tomorrow night. I would have it this evening, but as Stew will have to do it, it can't be tonight.
It's PUB NIGHT, and the last thing I want is a pissed Stewy giving me an injection! Stuff that. 😂😕
I went down to Coffee & Chat when I arrived home. There was some lively conversations. I ended up staying for over an hour longer that 'usual', chatting with just one of the ladies on our own. She was so lovely, and clearly wanted to chat more. So interesting listening to life stories, and some shared experiences.
Now I'm about to have my lunch.
NO MORE SCONES for me.
Leo (my doctor) has advised me to have OptiFast for the next month as my 'main' meal, with salad. I have a feeling I am going to hate it. But as I said, I am so motivated to shift this weight and feel better, I will do it.
I will take a 'before' photo at some point... AGAIN. lol Like how many times have I done this ffs? Around and around in circles I go. And you just have to sit back and say 'There she goes again'. Suck it up, cos I have to as well. 😊
1 pm: I just have the Optifast... Chocolate flavour. It was IKKkkkk, as I thought it would be. I've had it before and didn't like it much, but this time? I'm going to stick to it. I also had a very simple, store bought salad. I didn't bother adding anything to it, so it was a bit ikkk as well.
This evening I will be having fruit for my 'supper'.
I talked to Stew just before, and we have decided we will still go 'out' for a meal, but just ONCE A WEEK. It will be a reward for sticking to the diet all week. It's what I used to do years ago, and it was something to look forward to.
4.15 pm, I just had a surprise phone call from Harvey Normans. Our new lounge chair is in stock, and we can pick it up TOMORROW! Wow, I wonder how they did that? Maybe they got one in from another store. So now I am hoping that Steve can get the sofa bed out of the front room this weekend? Then I can fluff around and get that room how we want it, and the exercycle out of our lounge.
So, Coco JUST got up out of bed. I've not seen her all day. How does she know Stew will be home soon? And how the hell does she sleep ALL DAY LONG?
8 pm, and we are home after spending a few hours at the pub (Stew), and visiting the kids and at the pub (me). It was a very nice evening.
Now that we are home, I'm going to watch the telly till bedtime. Catch ya tomorrow.



Currently not funded in nz.
ReplyDeleteI am aware of that.
DeleteI'm taking Wegovy and have been for about 10 months. I have lost 20kgs but have stalled for the last 3 months with no weight loss at all. I haven't put any weight on though and will keep trucking I still want to lose at least another 15kgs (this still won't put me in the "normal" bmi range but I will be happy". I haven't had any side effects, aside from a lighter bank balance! At the beginning I noticed that I was really full after a few mouthfuls, but this has subsided a bit. I have lost any inclination to drink alcohol and I used to love drinking wine.
ReplyDeleteMy husband also took it for about 4-5 months but he had terrible side effects (nausea and reflux and tiredness). He lost about 10kgs in that time but since stopping it, he has put it all back on.
I think it definitely has its place in assisting with weight loss. It takes the "food noise" away for the most part. The injections don't hurt at all!!!
Paula
I have first-hand seen Mounjaro change the lives of a few close family members. It really reduced the constant "food noise" for them, which made it much easier to make healthier choices. They still followed the basics—prioritising protein, doing some regular exercise, and making sustainable lifestyle changes—but they weren't obsessive about it. They just made steady progress over time.
ReplyDeleteFor the right person, these medications can be a fantastic tool. They're definitely not cheap, but like many things—gym memberships, daily café coffees, or supplements—some people choose to budget for them. Some also find they're spending less on food.
From what I've read, some people stay on a lower maintenance dose after reaching their goal to help reduce the chance of regaining weight, although that depends on their doctor and individual circumstances.
Weight-bearing and resistance exercise is also commonly recommended to help maintain muscle while losing weight.
Hope that helps!
Will you still have Trulicity for your diabetes or some other medication. Two different injections a week otherwise. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Audrey
ReplyDeleteOzempic and Wegovy have the same ingredients the only difference being that Ozempic only goes up to 1mg and Wegovy goes up to 2.4...I had no weight loss of Ozempic as it was only the 1 mg dose..Mounjaro seems to be the better drug as it works two ways....I am starting that today even though Ozempic is only $25 a month if you have diabetes, Mounjaro starts at 2.5 and goes up to 15mg with price increases for each dose right up to about $600 a month...but worth it if it works...I too am sick of being overweight trying to lose for years etc...I am around the same age as you...you will need to take Metamucil everyday or lots of fibre...some people lose a lot of weight on the lower doses of these medication and are considered super responders and other like me probably take a while..there is a good show on YouTube with Oprah and Serena Williams talking about the GLP 1's and a lovely obesity Dr explaining about the new medications and some people's stories
ReplyDeleteChris, I haven’t taken any weight loss treatments such as Wegovy or ozempic but family members have. Mixed results. Yes weight loss initially but side effects made staying on the treatments too hard, resulting in any weight lost all regained. I have read and heard of amazing results though, especially with ‘food noise’. It is a personal decision for you and only you. If you do decide to go ahead with either option, my query is if you have the desired result of losing the weight you want to, do you have to stay on the treatment forever to stop weight regain? You have been very, very successful on many, many occasions of losing weight but keeping it off is the problem. Don’t worry I know what it is like and support any option to go with. At the end of the day to maintain your desired weight takes much effort - 80% diet, 20% exercise! Food must equal deficit in energy expended to lose weight and then maintaining is much the same. It’s bloody hard work. Wishing you luck
ReplyDeleteI hope it works for you. I am on ozempic but slowly lost about 10kg I have read of some people that lost kg per week but that wasn’t my case (only side effect was constipation) although it’s not a known side effect it seems to have dropped my bp which was good for me
ReplyDeleteConstipation and diarrhoea are both well known side effects of Ozempic and all the other diabetes /weight loss medications..
DeleteI’m aware of that but prefer that to the side effect metformin gives me where I can’t leave the house
DeleteI love the Optifast chocolate dessert mousse, and their bars. I have those for lunch a lot. A shake for breakfast sometimes. xx Colleen
ReplyDeleteBased on your food photos you seem to eat heavy fried food when out. So eating more at home should help you.
ReplyDeleteAfter the discussion with your doctor, are you having two different injections a week or is there another solution? As I am needle shy too I am curious Audrey
ReplyDeleteYes, the optifast chocolate pudding and the lemon one taste quite good...they are exactly the same as the shakes but just thickened... you may have to go up to 2.4 mg Wegovy to get full results 0.25
ReplyDeleteis just a starting dose to get your body used to it...you should do well.......Peta
I've been on Mounjaro for over a year now. I've lost about 25 kg without difficulty, and no side effects. These GLP-1 meds work best IF you have an underlying metabolic issue related to insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome/diabetes or pre diabetes. Taking them when you don't have those underlying issues is not safe, in the same way that taking thyroid meds when your thyroid is healthy is not safe. All the scare stories relate to healthy people ie Hollywood types taking them when they don't have a hormonal reason to do so. Exhibit A,, Kelly Osborne. Having said that, and given what you've spoken about in this blog, it seems you're a good candidate. But the shots are not a magic bullet. If you do not find a way to permanently adjust the way you eat on a regular basis it won't work. Nothing will work if you continue to deprive yourself then treat yourself with food that doesn't support healthy weight loss or maintenance. The shots are brilliant at giving you some breathing space to adjust your lifestyle. But they can't overcome ongoing poor choices, or emotional eating, or anything like that. Also, it's absolutely vital that you do some body weight or dumbbell weight training as you use them. If you don't, your body will break down muscle tissue for fuel and you will end up even worse off. You must prioritise high quality animal protein with every meal. Limit carb intake. Make sure you remain hydrated. FWIW, I've had a lot of success using protein water and The Lady Shake meal replacement drinks for breakfast and lunch, because you get maximum nutrition without burdening your system. You won't feel like you're forcing food down when your appetite has been shrunk, and the bonus is adequate hydration. Bottom line is, these shots can be life changing but you also have to do change your life to support them. Good luck! -- Karen
ReplyDeleteYou're onto it Karen regarding insulin resistance, carb reduction and resistance training, this is the way.
DeleteThe usual Optifast advice is to replace two meals with the shakes/bars and then have a small evening meal...or lunch depending on which meals you want to replace....some private health funds run a free program for people with diabetes or ones needing knee replacements and you get all the shakes for nothing for about 4 months and continued Telehealth or phone consultations with a dietitian for 12 months...Peta
ReplyDeleteIf you eat nothing but grass, fruit and a mystery drink... you will lose weight without the meds. But that isn't sustainable. Eat normal food, maybe 1/2 sandwich instead of a whole. or baked chicken instead of fried... But salad, fruit,, and mystery drink would have me in a rage in 24 hours.
ReplyDeleteHave a look at this -https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/what-is-a-low-carb-lifestyle/dr-unwins-sugar-infographics/ It tells you a lot about fruit and other foods. I eat a banana every day along with mandarins; I may have to kick the banana, ha-ha. This site was recommended by my Dr Also, Dr Jason Fung's website is good too. I think if you are committed to the Wegovy, go for it. I remember you saying your HbA1c was good, as in prediabetic; well, contrary to what T2D patients think, you can actually reverse it and go off medications ( of course, approved by your Dr). Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI've thought about the wejove weight loss so I'd be interested in knowing how it goes...it would mean no more Christmas decorations and or craft supplies if I did it...but if I lost weight putting up Christmas decorations would be so much easier and probably wouldn't cost me as much to do the job. All the very best positive vibes heading your way Chris
ReplyDeleteHi and wishing you luck with your healthy eating, it's ongoing isn't it.
ReplyDeleteJust a suggestion as I know your at ww but have you thought about using the calculator for the next month?
I find it helps and realized I wasn't eating enough and hence why I was craving sugar all the time plus it's a good dopamine hit.
I'm now having 3 healthy meals a day protein, fibre plus healthy carbs and a protein shake for afternoon tea which helps fill me up and I'm not feeling hungry at night anymore. You need to eat food to lose weight but the right foods or it affects your metabolism and so on.
All the best
My girlfriend is doing Wegovy and other than a bit of constipation has done really well.
ReplyDeleteAnything is worth a try for a healthier lifestyle an longevity. And there a lot of cottage cheese yoghurt scone muffin options higher protein yada yada.
ReplyDeleteAll those green runners could do well pre xmas too.
Heya Chris, I've lost 27kg in the last year on Wegovy, with very few side effects. Google click counting, if your GP will prescribe a higher dose pen you can make it last longer and therefore it costs less. Try to stay on the lower doses for as long as you can, while they are effective. You don't have to increase the dose every 4 months. I've not had the highest dose and am currently on 1.2mg every 7-10 days and am still losing. Palmy Janene
ReplyDeleteWegovy, sounds like a miracle! The best of kiwi luck!!!
ReplyDeleteAll the best with the Wegovy.
ReplyDeleteLove the runners! My friend did Wegovy, it's the only thing I've ever seen work for her. I think she got the runs a bit when she was on it but she didn't complain.
ReplyDeleteI wish people who stop judging others on their decision to take GLP-1. If it can help your overall health it's worth it. I hope you don't experience any of the nasty side effects & get the results you want.
ReplyDelete