Wednesday, September 23, 2026

WHAT AM I THINKING????

 

Lacy has been doing the Hakarimata Summit Track for a while now.  She keeps saying I should go with her!

Like Lacy, it's a bloody mountain with over 1,300 steps, not to mention the rest of the trail is steep too. 

I have said NO NO NO, but... today we have agreed I'll join her and do as much as I can.  I think about 10 minutes into it will be my limit!  lol

I simply do not do hills, let alone 1,300 steps and a mountain trail!  

What am I thinking???

IF I survive, I'll come back and tell ya how I did.

IF I SURVIVE.  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜–

After lunch today I have my second practise of lawn bowls, in readiness for tomorrow's Charity Tournament.  I can't wait (I'm bullshitting of course).  But it's raising money for a good cause, so I will do it.  It's for Blue September, Prostrate Cancer Awareness Month.  

After all that, I would like to think I will get some sewing done!  We will see, I might be knackered and need a Nana Nap!  lol

ABOVE: I finished two of the current six placemats last night.  Wave pattern.  Loving them.

ONWARD...

1.30 PM.

Lacy and I went out to Ngaruawahia to do 'some' of the Hararimata track.  

ABOVE:  The track takes around 3 hours return according to the sign.

No way was I doing that!

I wanted to just do up to the steps starting...


ABOVE:  Lacy suggested we do one of the smaller side tracks, that takes you to a water reservoir...

There were a FEW steps to get to it.




ABOVE: We saw two waterfalls, it was very pretty.  And not too arduous to get to.  There were a few steps, but I managed them OK.

I then decided I wanted to try doing a bit more.  Lacy has a gorgeous photo on her phone of a stunning view up the track... she told me it was 'about half way up'.  So, me being a bit of a stubborn tart, decided I'd try to get to it.


ABOVE: The steps were horrendous... they just kept on going, and going...


ABOVE:  Steps... but I kept stopping and resting, and just kept on going...



ABOVE:  And I MADE IT TO THAT VIEW!!!!   I was so proud of myself.

Every time I asked Lacy how much further it was, she cackled and said "Not much further".  The bitch lied.  That view was easily 3/4'ers of the way up that bloody mountain.





ABOVE: So after getting that far, it seemed silly not to go all the way!   So I did.


ABOVE: At the top!!!!!   Not only 1,356 steps, but quite a bit of mountain trail as well.


ABOVE:  I liked this sign.  



ABOVE: The lookout, which I climbed to see the view.


ABOVE:  LOVED this sign!  Best one on the trail.


ABOVE:  A gorgeous Totara tree.  

ABOVE:  Lacy can do the trail in about an hour.  It took me 3 hours.  And I am really proud of myself for actually doing it.

AND... I AM NEVER DOING IT AGAIN.  EVER.

It wasn't even on my bucket list.  Pfffft.

I have cancelled doing a bowls practise this afternoon, I need a bloody nap!

6.30 pm, and as you can imagine, I have had a quiet afternoon.  I tried to have a nap, but meh, that didn't happen.  So I just lay in bed with the electric blanket on and relaxed.   Later on I sat outside to encourage Coco to join me outside.

She was having none of it!  She doesn't like being in our backyard... she sits by the door begging to be let back inside.  Silly girl.

Stew is now home and we are about to have dinner.  I had a bacon hock and veges in the crock pot all day, so we are having that.  It's a bit like a soup.  Should be yummy.

10.05 pm.  Coronation Street just finished early, so I'm off to bed.  I've got another busy day tomorrow, so need some decent sleep.  Which should happen, considering how freakin' tired I am.  😊

Catch ya tomorrow.

23 comments:

  1. Good luck on the stairs :) With two knee replacements I'll give that a miss. Regarding your placemats why are they all square and not rectangle? They give no place to put the cutlery down... all my placemats are rectangle, just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only placemats I own are circular and once the plate is on them, there is certainly nowhere to put the cutlery.. except on the table. I like the size of mine, they are not a TRADITIONAL shape. But I will be making rectangular ones as well.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:13 AM

    Hey Chris, you've inspired me to have a crack at making placements myself! I have a "jelly roll" quilt top I made about 10 years ago, and never did anything with, so I'm going to cut it up and make placemats and a runner with it. But I need to ask, do the placemats have batting in them as well as the runner? xx Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is batting in the placemats. Good on you for deciding to do that.

      Delete
  3. I bought lots of patchwork bits needles cotton bits and bobs for making mum placemats for mum for christmas last year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the climb. Enjoy the day, a spa afterwards?
    Those blue placemats are bright and perfectly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the climb. I'm like you - not keen on hills, and I am impressed that you have kept up the daily hill near your home. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. I’m proud of you. I can’t do steps or hills as my legs go to jelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me assure you... my legs were totally JELLY by the time i got back to the car! They were SHAKING!

      Delete
  7. Joyce O2:34 PM

    Good work mumπŸ’ͺπŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½proud of you xπŸ₯³πŸ˜˜.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kiwionholidays2:56 PM

    What an awesome accomplishment you did today Chris.
    Thanks for Lacy for her encouragement, and you for

    Taking One For The Team πŸ’―πŸ₯
    I can only do it in my dreams now lol as I’ve lived a few more summers n winters than you πŸ€—

    Totally agree the views and photos are stunning and I so appreciate you sharing with us here .

    Nothing like the hidden gems of NZ

    Cheers πŸ₯‚

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud of you Chris. Wish I was there with you. That is exactly what I love doing but struggling with hills and steps at the moment
    But I love being in scenery like that. So good for the soul. You kniw you are aluve now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, well done! You deserve a rest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:07 PM

    Way to go!!!! Great job!!!! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, you say you won't do it again but achieving something like that is addictive so I'm guessing you just might do it again one day, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do more bush tracks, but NOT the Hakarimatas. That was murder.

      Delete
  13. Hi Chris, I'm a long-time reader (and friend of Penny's), who has never commented. But I just had to pop on today to congratulate you on getting up that mountain. Blimming inspirational the way you kept going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Thank You Mary. How lovely of you to pop in and say that. I don't know about 'inspirational', more like bloody minded! I was determined not to be a piker at the end of the day.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations Chris, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did it!! Congratulations. Amazing views. Youll really sleep well!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! That's really something else. All those stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:12 AM

    I, long ago used to run the midnight sun marathon on Baffin Island in Canada. It had some massive hills , one of which was called the pain in the ass pass. Nobody actually ran it all it was so steep. We used to say the road came um to meet your nose, but we walked a lot of it. Well done you for doing all those stairs. I hate hills and stairs too. My little dog is 12 now and she would rather be inside all the time too., except if there is a squirrel to chase. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to you, I can understand the jelly legs, I experience that on just a small bit of the Great Wall of China. But I least I can say I walked some of the Wall.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.