Monday, July 13, 2026

FEELING DESPONDENT

 

I'm feeling a bit despondent about markets right now.  Wondering if it will ever pick up again.  I keep spending money on fabrics, batting, threads and lets not forget the new machine... with very little return.

Yesterday I was thinking, why do we keep doing this?  Should we stop?

Then I remember all the money invested and sitting in Crabby Quarters.

AND, what would I do with my life if I wasn't making my runners etc?

I wouldn't have a life, I've not done anything else for years now. 

At some point, we will stop, but I hate to think it will be sooner, rather than later.

So yeah, right now I'm feeling quite depressed.

Yesterday we sold that cute small green Braid Runner that I finished on Saturday.  I am going to make 4-6 more in that size over the coming week, all going well.  Starting today.

It's craft day here in the village, so I'll gather up all I need and head down there mid morning.  Liz and Loretta will be there, so I'll have company.

Misery likes company.


I read this and liked it:

UNSPOKEN RULES OF A GEN-X WOMAN...

1. Our tolerance for stupid people left the building with our hormones.

2. People who chew too loud should eat somewhere else ... for their own safety.

3. "No" is a complete sentence.

4. If we sit down after 8 pm, it's game over.

5. Once the bra comes off, we're not leaving the house.

6. If it's not written down, it doesn't exist.

7. Trust your gut.  It's been right for decades.

8. Comfort wins over fashion every time.

9. Tweezers in the car are a necessity.

10.  Life's too short to GAF what others think.

Turns out one of the best parts of getting older is realising most of the rules were made up anyway.

STEW can attest to #2. 100%. 

HE NEEDS TO BE CAREFUL, VERY CAREFUL.

ONWARD...

3 pm!  All I can say is, I've been busy.

I went to the pharmacy and picked up more medications, then came home and packed my craft room trolley, and off I went to Craft Group.

ABOVE: This trolley has proven so handy!  I love it.

ABOVE:  I went down early to craft group, and spent a very happy 3 hours with Liz and Loretta, until the other ladies arrived at 1 pm.  In all, I spent 5 hours down there.  It was so nice and warm too.  We've had the most gorgeous day here, sunshine and not very cold at all.

Oh yeah, I got two braid runners sewn up and ready for quilting/binding.  I would have got 3 done, but my mouth...  yakking.  😂😅

Now I'm home, and will unpack the trolley at some point.

Re: my mood.  I've yakked with the ladies at craft group, and taken on board what they (and you) have said.

Because I love sewing, and get such a thrill when I finish each and every runner, I shall just keep on making them!  If I die with 52,000 runners still unsold, Stew, or whoever in the family is able, can either continue selling them, or just gift them away.  I don't care.    Same with all my fabrics/machines etc.  Once I'm gone, it won't matter to me.

Though I do hope the fabric and machines find nice homes.

NOT that I'm thinking of kicking the bucket yet, right?  The thing is, you just never know what's around the corner. 

Right, enough of that.  I'll go and unpack my trolley now.    

9.26 pm and it's time to sign off for the day.  It's been a nice, productive day, with a relaxing evening tacked onto the end.

Catch ya tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. Love the list. Some of them just made me laugh so hard. Many pertain to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe make some smaller runners in different colours. Or round mats that can go in the middle of the table. If I lived in NZ I would be looking for pinks, browns, yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Love the list and the shirt. I hope the markets pick up for you. Your work is gorgeous and if I lived down under I would be buying a lot of it. Send cold weather north. I’m raking hay in an open tractor in 39Celsius. That’s 102.2 F for those in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Need the tshirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They seem to have a lot of winter markets. I know I prefer to go during the spring summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda12:16 PM

    I have often wondered exactly what you have said today about your effort, outlay of capital, hours of working both in crabby quarters and at markets etc and how much ‘profit’ you actually make. Of course that is your private business. The pleasure you get from sewing is obvious and your work is absolutely gorgeous, and those things don’t have a ‘money worth’. Maybe it’s just a slump as it’s winter, maybe it’s the economy, who knows. I’m sure you’ll work it all out; before you know it, Spring will be here and hopefully things pick up. Maybe it’s only seasonal depression! It’s a real thing. Hope you have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im sitting across the room from mum and she is having her lunch her grunting while eating drives me nuts.
    Winter markets must be super frustrating especially when little or no sales my friend here takes all of July off from markets she feels the cold dreadfully and driving 100k each way to go to a market to sit in the freezing cold its not safe leaving so early either with icy roads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think markets are always slow at this time of year cos of the weather. Look back at your blog posts around this time in previous years and see if you were having the same problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:46 PM

    Poor Stew...lol...my husbands chewing annoys me as well...lol...but as he does all the cooking I won't complain too much...lol...Peta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:24 PM

    Understand what you are saying about your sewing because it is your hobby but I am trying to imagine where you would store 52,000 runners, lol. Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:42 PM

    Hi lovely
    Have you ever thought of selling your gorgeous goods on Facebook marketplace? I’m always looking at stuff on marketplace. Or do you have a main room at your new place where people sell stuff? Could you possibly put up photos and people can contact you that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:49 PM

    Why not make a few fabric stuffed children’s teddy bears to try out. You could make one for Lily and see what she thinks. I don’t know anybody here who uses runners, just not a thing as we seem to go for a more uncluttered look although your runners are very pretty. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you ever considered a new pattern for your runners? If some of the visitors to these markets are the same people, maybe there are getting tired of seeing the same ones even though the colours are different. Just saying. There are some lovely fast and easy patterns on the web.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.