Wednesday, September 20, 2017

NO MORE DEAD PLANTS

When we moved into this house there was virtually NOTHING in the little garden strips by the front of the house.

The place looked NAKED.

So of course, I tarted it up with pots and so on.

Now, after being here for over a year, I know why they had no potted plants there.

They die.  They get no water, or very occasionally a tiny bit.

So yesterday afternoon I moved the plants out.  And just put non organics along the house edge instead... PHOTOS REMOVED TILL I RE-ASSESS THINGS.

CONSTRUCTIVE OPINIONS are good.


All my blue pots (and plants) have been dotted around the front in other places.


 ABOVE: These ones are forming a bit of a screen for the bins.


 ABOVE:  This is going to be a lovely blue corner once the hydrangeas flower, they will be mostly blue ones.


ABOVE:  See that piece of driftwood on top of the letterbox?  I've had that bit of wood for about 20 years!  It just keeps tagging along when we move house.  I can't even remember where I got it from now, it's been so long ago.

Now... today?  Sewing.  Pure and simple.
I had wanted to go on a walk at 9.30 but my shins and Achilles are still sore after Monday's walk, so prudent I think to rest them some more.

A little hark back to something said yesterday in a comment I deleted:

PEPSI is my private blog... and yep, I say stuff on there that is not public.  It's exactly like talking to my girlfriends in private.  The fact that others don't know what's being said is EXACTLY the same as one of my kids having a bitch to one of their friends about ME, but I can't hear it,  or comment or defend myself.

EXACTLY THE SAME. 

What is said about me behind my back is none of my business, just as what I say on my PRIVATE BLOG to MY GIRLFRIENDS  is none of your business too.

So don't go bleating on about not being able to read PEPSI and DEFEND yourself.  It's none of your bloody business what I say on there... AND who says anyone needs to DEFEND themselves from what I am saying anyway?  Ya don't know what I say on there eh?  You are PRESUMING a lot I think.

Back to today...

ONWARD...

Sooooooo.... I took on board what was said and have spent the last hour or so out the front AGAIN.

And this is the result:


ABOVE:  Less.

I will just have to remember to water the pots.
My biggest 'problem' with the front is that I dislike the front of the house immensely.
It's just so... not me.

I absolutely loved the street appeal of our Auckland and Palmerston North homes ... so am still coming to grips with this home.

Don't get me wrong, I love this home, in many ways it's perfect for us.  I just don't like it's frontage at all.

So, now that's done I shall move on to my sewing.

DAMMIT!!!
I went up to school to pick up Keera... and her teacher came out to speak to me.  Keera refused to eat her sandwich today... so I STUPIDLY said "What a little trollop".  Now I'm sitting here wondering if I'm going to be raked over the coals for calling my granddaughter a trollop!  Grrrr.
I really can't be trusted to open my mouth up at that school... really.  *sigh*


ABOVE:  Last one!  I brought around the biggest, heaviest pot we had... and I think it looks ok there.

LOL.... thanks for all the positive comments today... they helped me with juggling things out the front and gave me more ideas to think about.

Signing off for the day... dinner tonight was a chicken and bacon casserole, mashed spuds, mixed veges, cauliflower and broccoli.  Delicious!


42 comments:

  1. Chris, I like your eclectic stuff around the garden but that's too much 'stuff' in front of the house - I'm trying to be constructive here, not critical. How about a compromise of some plants that like dry conditions and less bits and bobs? Less can be more :) No offence, just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Love the gardens except for the front.Looks like a hoarders house sorry.Way to junkie and scruffy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I thought NZ had loads of rain and your grass is lovely and green so I wondered if the plants that died were too big for their pots? Here in UK we do have dry summers, yes tis true, we do and the best plants for dry areas are things like lavender and other silver leaf plants.. don't give up I like your blue pots and the rusty spring, that's a nice touch. Hydrangeas need a lot of water to flower well. Love the fish on the fence too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Rain never gets on that area because its protected by the roof... YES we do get plenty of rain! I'm going to re do that area again this morning.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:13 AM

    Looks much better! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:19 AM

    A big yucca in a blue pot where that sign is would look amazing.I think because the front is very one dimensional looking is that why you don't like it? Big tree like plants in pots would give it more dimension and also a solid piece of outdoor furniture such as one of those chunky solid driftwood 2 seaters? Because the area is so vast and one dimensional it would look amazing with solid items rather than bits and pieces that make it look scruffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris, have you thought about getting the front side of the house rendered and painted? It would change it sooooooo much. Might not be your thing but its an option. I love your home. :) Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive been thinking about what you said yesterday about family visiting etc. I know when my children were little I didn't work outside of the home, so I managed to visit family and friends a lot. Now that I have 2 part time jobs, I find my weekends fulled up with house work and shopping that I have no time for during the week. If I have free time in the weekend I like to blob (lazy I know!) Anyway maybe this is why you have less visits from some family. life is more busy than it was even ten years ago. I can't even imagine how you would fit everything in when you have to work when your children are young. I was very lucky that I could stay home for about 7-8 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate how busy people's lives can be. But everyone has a phone eh?

      Delete
    2. Exactly !!!

      Delete
    3. Penny2:55 PM

      And yeah, I love my family, wish I could see them more but can't, so call them often. Not hard! Even when I am super busy.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Hi

    I subscribe to the Home Beautiful magazine and get lots of ideas,maybe you could google front of home makeovers to get more ideas. I remember a while ago you had some ideas of a front entrance that looked good with wooden posts. Where you have your two bigger blue pots maybe you could buy two even bigger pots and put in large ferns and only have those two pots in the front and maybe put white small pebbles in the garden bed...I put white pebbles in some of mine and it really improved the look and is tidy...



    Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't put any 'structure' out the front due to council restrictions. I will work on it... something will come to me eventually.

      Delete
  9. Chris, have you thought about adding pavers or something to just to lead to the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats it ! lack of street appeal ! What about lavender in those two blue pots ?
    They would add a bit of height and colour or cordilines (I know that I spelt that incorrectly)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's better Chris. Yukkas are great in pots by the way - so easy and they don't care if they don't get much water. They are the only things I can grow in a pot! Don't overthink the frontage of your house as you have the nice fence and driveway. Best of all you live out of Auckland!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha trollop!!!!! I think it is funny but then - well not exactly PC am I. Seriously though, why does it warrant even a mention that she didn't eat her bloody sandwich? Generally if kids are hungry they eat, if not they don't, maybe Keera just wasn't hungry at lunchtime - or maybe she didn't like the sandwich today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't like today's sandwich. The teachers have to make sure the children eat their lunch before they are released to play, it's a school 'policy'. Funny though, the little shit ate it as soon as she got home, no problem.

      Delete
    2. The teacher was probably trying to say 'Don't send that sort of sandwich to school again!'. It was luncheon and cheese, a perfectly healthy sandwich as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
  13. A wall planter with interesting bits n bobs n maybe height larger tree pot? Rendered front sounds nice but me personally I loved the front....... Cause I'm a gatherer and love bits n bobs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. trollop!!!! hahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  16. What did you say last time that landed you in trouble at the school? I can't remember now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called MYSELF a grumpy old bitch

      Delete
    2. You just make naughty words sound so cute.

      Delete
  17. I think a couple of bench seats under the windows, would look good, then maybe a couple of collections of blue pots of different sizes grouped together? A large wall art piece would break up the plain brick area too. I love those fish on the blue fence!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would you be allowed to put up a shade sail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope... the council considers that a 'roof'... we can't put a bloody thing out the front without applying for Resource Consent, Change of Land Use Consent, Neighbour's consent bla bla bla. So for that...we wait. For our road to be re-zoned URBAN, which should be in a couple of years.

      Delete
    2. Councils!! We're doing a subdivision at the moment and have had to put in underground power and concrete crossovers although no one else in the street has them. $$$!

      Delete
  19. OMG - that school is seriously snobby!! I think it's nice they let you know if she's not eating her sandwich but it's not an issue surely? Oh dear, this is my third comment today... must be a record for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help thinking it is a stupid policy? All I am told is that I should trust my daughter to decide how much to eat and not interfere with her natural instinct by telling g her to clean her plate!

      Delete
  20. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Much better but I think you need something with a bit of height against the wall next to the garage. A largish evergreen ornamental tree would be ideal, do you have Camellias over there? They can be a bit boring in winter but you could put some battery lights in it, that's what I do with mine, and the flowers in spring are gorgeous. Also a water butt near the drainpipe (I am sure you could disguise it) would give you easy access to water for the pots. Keep on blogging. Em, London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I found one out the back yard!

      Delete
    2. I like that big pot Chris, it adds a bit of height.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous8:50 PM

      Just what was needed on that wall. Well done Chris. Em, London

      Delete
  21. Anonymous7:58 PM

    The big pot looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What about some tall growing succulents in that garden. They thrive without water and make an awesome show of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND sadly Karen, the Waikato frosts kill them too.

      Delete
  23. Don't the teachers at that school have other, more important, things to do than what was eaten at lunch? When I was still working we just made the kids take home any uneaten lunch and mom could see and decide what was to be done about it. That school sounds like a bit of a pain in the you know what!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What about shutters? Here they are mostly ornamental and don't shut, but they do add a bit of visual interest and weight to the house. They can also be painted to your liking. Love the trollop comment! Not even sure what that is, but it made me lol. Take care Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:49 AM

      Yes, I agree! that's a brilliant idea :)

      Delete
  25. Looks up trollop... ooopsie! seriously though why worry about if she ate her sandwich, she probably just wasn't hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published once approved by a blog admin. Thank You.